Need new set of tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gethenet

I'm looking for a decent set of tools, but don't want to break the bank. My original set I bought back like 7 years ago, we're decent, but they need replaced. Anyone have any suggestions on what they like.....will be doing pretty much all small turnings, pens, pepper mills etc

Thanks much

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

Always recommend buying single tools as you need them vice a set of tools. You can get discounts buying individual tools from many vendors if buy more than one tool at a time. Always check catalog or web site for details or ask when placing an order. Many vendors also run sales on turning tools through-out the year.

These two vendors carry major brands plus house brand tools, Crafts Supplies artisan turning tools made by Henry Taylor; Packard Woodworks tools made by Hamlet. Both Taylor & Hamlet tools share same address in Sheffield England.

Pen Making, Bowl Turning, Wood Lathes, Wood Blanks, and Turning Tools for Woodturners | Craft Supplies USA

Packard Woodworks: The Woodturner's Source

KenV

I am very pleased with the tools from Thompson Lathe Tools. His interchangable handles work well.

The 5/8 inch spindle roughing gouge and 1/4 spindle gouge make detailed finials more straight forward.

walshjp17

I am very happy with my Thompson tools. As noted above, the interchangeable handles mean you can buy one or two handles (one long-ish, one short-ish) and then only purchase the necessary inserts as needed.

D-Way tools are another good choice.

low_48

You must do an incredible amount of turning to wear out tools in only 7 years. I have some of the tools that came in a Delta lathe package, purchased 29 years ago. Some of those went in a drawer when I bought better tools, but your 7 years seems quick. I'd never buy a set again since there throw in tools that invariably got directly to the drawer. As mentioned, nothing better than Thompson. Now those will be 20-25+ year tools for most folks.

Gethenet

You must do an incredible amount of turning to wear out tools in only 7 years. I have some of the tools that came in a Delta lathe package, purchased 29 years ago. Some of those went in a drawer when I bought better tools, but your 7 years seems quick. I'd never buy a set again since there throw in tools that invariably got directly to the drawer. As mentioned, nothing better than Thompson. Now those will be 20-25+ year tools for most folks.

Let me rephrase that.....I had bought a " mini" set of tools when I guest started. It came with a oval skew. I found myself only using that, and the 1/4 inch gouge. The skew more than anything.....I'm sure I can get more use out of it, I'm just wanting a " bigger" one.
I will take a look at those you guys suggested, thanks a lot for your input

Dan Masshardt

I see a couple options then.

I find full size tools best for most tasks including pens. I only use the mini tools occasionally.

I would go one of three directions.

1. Buy an inexpensive set off full sized tools. I started with the harbor freight set with red handles ( not any of the other sets they have) and do not regret it for a second. Instill use some of those tools. For the price with coupon. It's tough to beat. 3 gouges, 2 skews, parting tool, round nose scraper. I've used every tool in there.

2. Buy a set of expensive tools. If you do this just make sure that the tools in the set are ones you actually want because at the price you're paying a good amount for all of them.

3. Just buy good quality tools of the ones you use most. Get a high quality oval skew. Spindle gouge. I use a thin parting tool constantly as well

Top Bottom