New one for me!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I was at my local supply store picking up some fresh CA so I browsed through the rack of pen blanks they had set up. Not much interesting. Hey, wait, what's that? Camel thorn? Never heard of that before. Kind of a nice,red color to it. So I picked up a blank. Drilled and glued it up today. Hope I get a chance to turn it tomorrow.

Anybody else ever worked with it? Seemed kind of hard while I was drilling.

robutacion

I was at my local supply store picking up some fresh CA so I browsed through the rack of pen blanks they had set up. Not much interesting. Hey, wait, what's that? Camel thorn? Never heard of that before. Kind of a nice,red color to it. So I picked up a blank. Drilled and glued it up today. Hope I get a chance to turn it tomorrow.

Anybody else ever worked with it? Seemed kind of hard while I was drilling.

I've heard of it, and we have some of it here in Australia, is and Acacia and a very dense wood but normally in small sizes, bushes type.

Other places overseas have trees with the same name, that develop quite big however, I don't recall to have ever seen its wood...!

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Camel+thorn&oq=Camel+thorn&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Cheers
George

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I turned a blank last year. I didn't have any problems drilling or turning it. It sands and finish well. I will use it again.

Turned Around

I made a stylus pen from a piece a while back. came out very nice. had sort of a red palm look to the finish. went back to the local woodcraft and bought a few more for future turnings.

they had a large display of about 30 different species, grabbed probably 3 of each before other turners saw it.

Top Bottom