New Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
My new Rikon 70-100 mini lathe has arrived and the VS conversion is also here. I have it out of the box and all the parts are there and I don't see any damage...the box wasn't damaged very much either, it didn't look like they dropped it or anything catistrophic. My initial reaction is I like it - not a very good paint job but it is a lathe not an automobile and the paint isn't critical to turning.

There was no manual but I easily solved that by going to their website and printing one.

Also not warranty card - but I registered on line so that was also no problem.

I also have the VS upgrade which I'll put on tomorrow. Then I have a tool bench that I'm going to bolt mount a piece of 2X10 on I will bolt the lathe to the 2X10 and I expect to have it on line by tomorrow and might turn a block of wood with it just to watch it spin. I expect to be able to turn pens in a couple of days when some accessories I've ordered get here. It is perhaps Ironic but I do expect to drill before I turn anything. Assuming my Baracuda fits ok.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The VS conversion did not do too well in shipping. Both pully spindles had a chip out of them...it happened in shipping because the chips were inside the wrapping on the pullies.

So far the service department gets good marks, the phone was answered by a real person, she transferred me to someone who was familiar with the kit and he was businesslike, knew what I was talking about, took my mailing information and said the replacement parts would be sent right out.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Smitty: If I may ask - price for Rikon and for V/S conversion??
Bought through Amazon.com the Lathe was $339 and the conversion kit was $179.95. Total $518.95 Free Shipping on both.

I took an Amazon Credit card and got $50.00 off that making my total cost $468.96 - I'll pay off this purchase and then not use the card unless Amazon offers some premium for using it there.

walshjp17

I have the VS upgrade kit on my Rikon 70-100. You'll remove the stock six pulleys and motor assembly and install a new 3 pulley assembly and new motor.

For the most, I keep the belt on the high-speed pulley as the range is sufficient for most everything. The only time I change the belt to another pulley is to drill. The low end of the high-speed pulley range (700 rpm, IIRC) is a bit too high for drilling in my case. I like to drill between 350 and 500 rpm depending upon the material to be drilled, bit size, etc., so in that case, I move to the low speed pulley. Have not used the mid-range pulley yet (two years).

Top Bottom