New Lathe Advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fitty

I'm "retiring" my Delta 46-700 for now and looking to purchase a new lathe. I've targeted the Delta 46-460 as a replacement since I'm already setup for a Delta Lathe. With a price range around $1000, is there any other Lathes I should be looking at?

raar25

It depends what size capacity and RPM range you need. Grizzly has alot of options, at least that is the way I will be going when I am ready to buy. What do you plan on doing with your 46-700?

Dustygoose

I was planning on a Grizzly but they pulled the lathe I wanted for a few months. My LOML decided to surprise me with a Laguna. Identicall to to the Grizzly and BusyBee.

Love it

fitty

So I guess I should have provided more information regarding my need. I'm mostly a pen turner with a few bottle stoppers. Now correct me if I'm wrong, ideally, pen turning should occur 3000-4000 rpm. Now should I focus my search for a new one geared toward higher rpm or should I consider a larger unit that's in the 2500ish rpm range anticipating I'll turn bowls at a later date?

All my turning has been on the 46-700 which maxes out at 2000 rpm. Also, I'm limited in my workshop (garage) with no 220v outlet and I'd be looking at an extra $300 to run the electrical.

I know a lathe is like a car and each individual uses what works for them. Just seeking guidance to narrow my choices.

Any additional help is appreciated.

Top Bottom