New CA finishing system!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Haven't seen or heard of this 'system'?

What is it? And are my fingers going to be stuck together?

Scott (got any finished pens done in it) B

Gary Beasley

There was a video posted just recently. I've seen the results first hand, looks real good and it went on with a minimum of fuss. So far only Woodcraft has it far as I know.

Lee K

I have used it now on about five pens. It seems to work quite well for me. Only been turning less than a year, here's my take.
The thin is real thin, the medium is about the consistency of regular thin. Normal open time is longer, so you can smooth your coats out and create minuscule ridges. When you hit it with accelerator, its instantly dry. That makes the coats go on significantly quicker. The first two pens I did, I went straight to MM....no ridges at all and it was all pretty level. now they have a polish system but haven't tried this. Russell Eaton did a demo at our June meeting he knows more about the polish system.

G1Pens

Our own Russell Eaton does the demo in the video. He also did a demo at the last Atlanta/Georgia meeting. It was very impressive. He had a high gloss finish in a matter of minutes. It seemed very simple to do. A lot less work than the CA process I am now using. I'm pretty sure Roy (Oklahoman) is selling it on his site.

PenMan1

Roy
I just used it on one of Curtis' TurnTex Galaxy Blue Cactus Blanks.
I had another Cactus (purple) with a regular CA finish.

The finish difference is night and day. In fact, the Galaxy Blue was the first pen sold yesterday (to a collector, as soon as the show opened). The buyer commented that it was the best pen finish he had seen.

IMHO, the high gloss finish (using both compounds) is a wonderful finish. Tomorrow, it gets the ultimate test...... Wet Cocobolo, WITHOUT a CA accelerator wipe down.
If I can't FUBAR the finish with that deadly recipe, Stick Fast will have a permanent home in my shop!!!

Jeff G

So Andy,
Inquiring minds want to know...did you have a chance to put it to the 'acid' test? I think I am going to order some of it, probably get the intro kit as I need some ca and accelerator anyhow.
Thanks everyone.
Jeff G

Last edited:
Top Bottom