New bowl.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rcd567

Rcd567

Hey all,
Finished my wife's Christmas present today. Thought I'd throw it out here and see what you folks think.

IMG_1945_zps3921d77e.jpg

IMG_1947_zps2332f5b4.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rcd567

Looks great! Did you use an internal tenon or an expansion slot? What wood and what dimensions?

The wood is Bocote, dimensions started out at 12" x 4", finished it's probably close to 9 1/2" x 3 3/4". And I bought a Barricuda chuck that was outdated and on sale. Don't remember the model but it was discontinued. The slot actually angles outward as it goes in and I expand the chuck into the groove. Sorry, I'm self taught and don't know all the proper terminology. As for finish, it's just basically polished. I used sandpaper through 600 grit then micro mesh through 18000. I applied a little hard wax to it and buffed it with a rag afterward.

It's a hard, oily wood that won't take any type of varnish well. Thanks for the questions and for looking.

Bowl Slinger

This post made me instantly laugh and I had to show it to my wife. I too present "work in progress gifts" to my wife. She has a saying....it better not need to go back your shop to get finished.
For a simple design the wood does a lot of spectacular speaking. Very nicely done.

Bob Wemm

Bob, That is a beautiful piece of wood and I love the finish. Well done and most impressive to have your Wife's Christmas present completed in Feb. Or were you naughty and this is last years Christmas.

Bob.

Rcd567

Bob, That is a beautiful piece of wood and I love the finish. Well done and most impressive to have your Wife's Christmas present completed in Feb. Or were you naughty and this is last years Christmas.

Bob.

She is notorious for presenting me with a list of stuff she wants as gifts to give sometime after Thanksgiving. My normal work week consists of about 60 hours away from home. Soooo, she's been wanting a bowl for her sewing room. For whatever reason, it's hard (at least for me) to find a piece of bocote that big. I just wrapped up the block of wood and put it under the tree. Inside the wrapping paper I wrote, when I get caught up from making pens and bottle stoppers for your friends, I'll work on your bowl. :)

So yeah, I guess you could say I was naughty.

Top Bottom