Need'en a little help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rosewood

Morning Y'all, I have turned three blanks for the PSI Bolt action pen. In the instructions it says you can turn the Bolt Mech. via a small set screw inside the uppupeer protion of the pen. Not being a hunter why would one do this? A couple of friends are and I would like to make these pens correct. Thanks, Marty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kingkeyman

I'm pretty sure it's just a personal preference/ comfort thing. I know I had to turn one around for a lefty once.

sbell111

Go ahead and goolg up a pic of an actual bolt action rifle. When chambering a round, the bolt comes forward and the handle rotates down, ending up flat against the receiver. This pen, in it's stock form, has the bolt come forward with the handle rotating up away from the receiver. To make it look and operate more like an actual rifle's bolt, the clip should be moved to the other side of the pen and the 'handle' turned so it lays flatter against the pen body when the cartridge is advanced.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
It's strictly a personal preference thing. The fact that an actual bolt action is on the opposite side doesn't bother me in the least & I like 'em the way the come, so that's the way I leave them. I've given several of these pens to avid hunters & none have complained about the orientation of the "bolt".

Try it both ways & see which you like better.

beck3906

I turned my first few over the last couple of nights and wondered what value was added by switching the bolt. Seems like a lot of time for minimal gains. Or am I missing something?

sbell111

I've come across a few of the screws that were loose in the past, so I always tighten it to ensure that the bolt handle isn't lost. Since I have the screwdriver out anyway, it really only takes a few seconds to swap it around, if you are so inclined.

Sawdust1825

I turn them as well because it's more technically correct. As was stated it might take 30 seconds to do. Use a small #0 or maybe #1 phillips screw driver. Loosen the end cap and rotate the clip. It might only be preference but it just makes it "right" in my opinion. Maybe PSI should offer a left handed version also. :eek:

Go ahead and goolg up a pic of an actual bolt action rifle. When chambering a round, the bolt comes forward and the handle rotates down, ending up flat against the receiver. This pen, in it's stock form, has the bolt come forward with the handle rotating up away from the receiver. To make it look and operate more like an actual rifle's bolt, the clip should be moved to the other side of the pen and the 'handle' turned so it lays flatter against the pen body when the cartridge is advanced.

Lucky2

Try it both ways and see which ones sell better, I'll betcha that the one that has been turned to be like the real thing sells better. Or at least this has been my experience, the ones that have been changed outsell the ones that haven't by at least a 5-1 ratio.
Len

studioseven

Also, there is not a correct position. Most people are right handed so most models are designed to eject the shell to the right, away from your face. However if you are left handed, you are using the opposite eye and the hot shell is going to hit you in the face. Manufacturers usually have left and right models. Iin the military they had a brass deflector for the M-16.

Seven

Top Bottom