Long Road Back....but here I am

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rlharding

It's been a long time since I was active here but I am finally 90% back. I say 90% because while I now finally have a lathe and a temporary space to turn I am not 100% ready to turn pens (or anything else of any importance). I am getting there.

I am slowly going through all of my turning gear and supplies that have been in storage for 5 years and am shocked at how much I can't remember. I didn't ID all my blanks as I never imagined I would forget what they were - but I don't have a clue what I have now, I have gizmos galore and can't even remember what they are for, and, I have parts for specialized tools and don't have a clue where the other essential bits are. Somehow in all the moves I have manged to retain the charger for my Record Air Shield...but don't have a clue where the actual breathing unit is and it isn't in my storage items. I thought I had kept my small pen lathe but that is gone too.

And then I have all my pen kits! Dozens of them...mostly in pieces from when I had everything in their own containers.....but I don't know what goes with what for the most part LOL! I don't even know what bushings go with which kits nor what drill bits are used for each. But I am slowly sorting through to find out what I have before I try and make sense of it.

One of my biggest problems is figuring out how to use my Tormek gouge sharpening tool with my new Schumacher Tiger 2000s .... the knob that holds the support bar in place is in the way of the knob on the gouge tool when I try and swing the gouge across the stone. Is anyone using the Tiger 2000s successfully?

I also have surface rust on all my gouges and light sanding isn't removing it. Does it matter?

Before I start the delicate task of pen turning I want to spend some time getting my tools and supplies in shape. I know I need some help figuring out what I have, and what gizmos are for, and from time to time will post pics and hope somebody knows!

It is good to be back, even if it is at the periphery for then next couple of months. It's been a long road.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Crashmph

Welcome back. The easiest thing to do would be to take pictures and post them here asking what things are. A set of calipers and the sizing charts in the library should help to figure out what bushing, drill bits, and parts go with each other.

Surface rust should not be a big deal. take a wire brush to it and see if that helps out.

Have fun.

Michael

KenV

Welcome Back Ruth --

Hope you got another great lathe!!!

Let is know if there is anything we can do to make things easier for you!!!!

rlharding

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the very warm welcome. I spent some frustrating time today trying to sharpen my gouges. I am not liking the Tiger 2000s. I am hoping as I spend more time getting back into the swing of things that it will become easier.

I am still unpacking and definitely had some head-shakes. It's pretty funny to have something in my hand, turn it all ways upside down and over and still not know what it is.

My main task over the next couple of weeks (as well as moving) is to prep a bunch of alder for future bowls. I don't usually use alder but a friend took some trees down and I know I need a lot of practice.

Thanks again, your welcome is heart warming. See you in the threads. :)

Top Bottom