Need some help with the ID

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Chuck, sent these great blanks to me in a swap. Problem is he doesn't remember what they are and at this point in my pen making forray I can only distiguish two blanks; wood and not wood. So can anyone help me out on these. I think the black one may be Lucite, based on some other Lucite blanks I have. It has two shiny sides and two dull sides with tooth marks. Other than that I got nothing.
Pen 021.jpg
Flipped 90 degrees
Pen 022.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

The second one looks like redwood burl maybe. The third is definitely notwood, while the first kinda looks like knotwood.

IPD_Mr

The middle one is definately redwood burl. It is a very light weight wood. The first one could be something like a cherry worthless wood cast. And the last one is some sort of plastic blank. Looks a bit like the gray camo.

D.Oliver

Mike the picture is a little decieving. The blank is solid black. What you're seeing is the reflecton of my house on the shiny side. That's what made me think it was Lucite. I got a dark blue lucite blank from you (IPD) that had the 2 shiny sides and similiar marks on the dull sides, but maybe those characteristics are not exclusive to Lucite. I only have a handful of non-wood blanks and don't pretend to be knowledgeable about them. Does Cherry, Knotwood or Redwood Burl have an distinctive oder that might give them away when I turn the blanks?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Derek, I think Jon is right about the Madreperlato from Exotic blanks. The center one may be Camphor Burl. See if it smells like camphor to you.

D.Oliver

Derek, I think Jon is right about the Madreperlato from Exotic blanks. The center one may be Camphor Burl. See if it smells like camphor to you.

I'll first have to get some camphor so I know what it smells like!

Thanks for the great feedback folks.

Top Bottom