Need Some Help on a Pen Type

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dl351

Here's the deal, I'd like to make a pen or two for my dad for Father's Day. I really want to make him a nice pen, but he wants a fairly slim pen. Slim lines don't strike me as being nice/fancy pens. I've only turned slim lines, Woodcraft Hart Double Twists, Wall Street II's, and Cigars. I gave him a Hart Double Twist for Christmas (when I started turning pens), but he wants something a little slimmer to fit in his shirt pocket.

My question is, what type of pen should I make for him? Are the European pens fairly slim? Also, does a tenon have to be cut for those? Thanks for any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

The broker pen listed a finished diameter of 1/2 inch which is the same listed for the double twist. I've never turned either, but thought that might help.

The olympia kit from Arizona Silhouette is popular for me among those that like a slimmer pen. It does require a tenon, but that's not a big deal with a sharp parting tool. They're pretty inexpensive kits, too.

Mark

Maybe a Slimline with a modified CB. That way you know you can keep it skinny, or fatten it up to any point you wish. Maybe a custom clip or an inlay blank, to go along with it.

What about a cartridge pen? I haven't made one yet, so I don't know how thick it actually is. (Order on the way from PSI)

dl351

My dad enjoys shooting, so I think I will get a .30-06 cartridge kit from Bear Tooth. I would like to do something besides that, too.

Oh, I forgot another question. What is a nice wood to use on slimmer pens? I bought some Cocobolo burl from Nolan, but I feel like it would be a bit of a waste to use on a slim pen. That is, the figure of the burl wouldn't show up well on a slim pen. I do have some Brown Malle that I thought about using. What about Amboyna burl for something slim?

Thanks for your help!

rsmith

I do have some Brown Malle that I thought about using. What about Amboyna burl for something slim?

I have a brown mallee slimline that is used all the time, the figure still shows up well, as does a highly figured amboyna. Just remember that there is nothing that says a "simple" slimline pen cant use a nice material or even be in the same "class" as a more expensive kit. Take a look at a nice pen store and see how many "slim" options there are, for a crapload of money:), and not so many that are "Majestic" size. If he likes something slim, then you can certainly make a NICE slimline (or a comfort pen is a real nice in-between size), a nice burl will still show figure, or you can use a more exotic material, such as something that Exotics offers. Remember that the craftsmanship and attention to detail is alot of what determines the quality of the pen, not necessarily how fancy the kit is:wink: Just a thought

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Aaron at Laulau woods also sells a Pocket Pen, which is very small. I personally do not like them (kinda cheap IMHO), but it may be what you are looking for.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
WoodnWhimsies sells something akin to Slimline they call "St. Charles" (or San Carlos) the difference is that, while having the slimline configuration, it has the rounded cap like a European without having to cut a tenon.

dl351

Thanks for all of the input! I might go with one of the slim line looking ones with the rounded end "cap."

To make sure that I'm not misunderstood, I know that a slim line can very well be used with a nice blank material. My concern with the cocobolo burl is that the figure on it isn't as tight as amboyna burl or the brown malle burl blanks that I have. I may just make my dad a Navigator/Tycoon with the cocobolo burl so he can have that as a desk pen, too.

Now that all of these kit ideas have been brought up, how about some ideas for some wood that still "shows-off" well on a slimline?

Thanks again!

Top Bottom