Need some advice please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

65GTMustang

I have a graduation pen to make within the week.
The pen will be going into one of the really nice Burled Boxes from Timber Bits.
The box will be laser engraved with the schools name, Individuals name and Date. It was requested that the Schools "logo" be filled with Turquoise inlay.
I can do the inlay without a problem - I will have that portion of the engraving cut a bit deeper in order to hold the Turquoise.
Where I need your help / advice is how do I get a good smooth finish on the inlay without messing up the original finish on the box?
Will I need to refinish the entire top area of the box - the area that is being engraved? If so should I use the baby oil and pumice stone method of refinishing?
Obviously it needs to look great - But I don't want to spend all my time refinishing the lid because of this portion of inlay. I have already suggested that the engraving simple be colored - perhaps with matching color paint...
Along with a good recommendation on the finish, it would be helpful to get some opinions on what to charge for this part of the project.
Thanks
Kevin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
CHRIS - YOU ROCK DUDE!!!!!
Should it be just a simple masking tape? Low tack or normal?
THANK YOU SO MUCH
That's brilliant

Please be careful!!! Chris is subject to believing rumors of his high intellect---can't let THAT happen:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

(Was a pretty good idea though--Where did that come from, Chris???)

thewishman

Well, Mr. Copies, that idea came from someone right here at the IAP. It was posted a couple of places and just stuck in my memory.

In my best Richard M. Nixon voice:

"I am not a genius."

Top Bottom