Need Shop setup pictures!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Alright, I'm finally squeezing some money from the wife's purse strings (taxes) to build myself a shop. Since we live in town with not a lot of room and so I don't have to get permits, it's only going to be a 10x12 but to make better use of the space I'm going to put a barn style roof on it with a loft at one end to use for regular storage.

What I need help with is how to set up the shop most efficiently so that I can use the space best. I know a lot is personal preference but pictures help get good ideas. I've got things like a table saw, planer, sliding miter, scroll saw, bench top drill press, jet mini lathe and a full size lathe...A lot to fit in that little space but I don't use them all at once (usually).

This is your chance to show off your shop...I'd love to see any and all to get ideas and I'm prepared to be VERY jealous of you guys with the 20x30 dedicated shops, just not fair!

Any ideas like, "build work benches on the long sides and leave the ends open" or " build your benches in an L shape across the short and long ends" or ...

Thanks guys!

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

USAFVET98

Here is what I did with mine. I built this small area in our basement and used the space the best I could.. My suggestion is, put everything you can on the walls..

Alright, I'm finally squeezing some money from the wife's purse strings (taxes) to build myself a shop. Since we live in town with not a lot of room and so I don't have to get permits, it's only going to be a 10x12 but to make better use of the space I'm going to put a barn style roof on it with a loft at one end to use for regular storage.

What I need help with is how to set up the shop most efficiently so that I can use the space best. I know a lot is personal preference but pictures help get good ideas. I've got things like a table saw, planer, sliding miter, scroll saw, bench top drill press, jet mini lathe and a full size lathe...A lot to fit in that little space but I don't use them all at once (usually).

This is your chance to show off your shop...I'd love to see any and all to get ideas and I'm prepared to be VERY jealous of you guys with the 20x30 dedicated shops, just not fair!

Any ideas like, "build work benches on the long sides and leave the ends open" or " build your benches in an L shape across the short and long ends" or ...

Thanks guys!

Mike

Attachments

• shop 005.jpg
    shop 005.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 296
  • shop 006.jpg
    shop 006.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 329
  • shop 010.jpg
    shop 010.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 279
  • shop 012.jpg
    shop 012.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 281
  • shop 018.jpg
    shop 018.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Here are some phots of my basement shop. It is 10x12 as well. I keep what i use most often on top and what I dont use regularly and is small enough goes under the counters or benches. All my wood storage is in the next storage room of the basement, out of the way. I keep as much supplies in the cabinets and off the walls to reduce dust collectors. All my tool attachments, pen blanks, bushings, kits, all that small stuff is in cabinet drawers.
My dust collector is expanding soon to the saw and planer. If you can get your dust collector behind a wall or outside your shop, even if you build a lean to for it. The noise reduction will be tremendous. I also have a ceiling air cleaner that is a must!

Thanks guys!

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1236 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1236 - Copy.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1237 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1237 - Copy.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1240 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_1240 - Copy.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 171