NEED HELP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

J pendragon

:yin-yang: i have a slight problem with pen turning. all iv dune so far is butcker other pens to use in the new one. is there any way to get better suplyse lockly???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

J pendragon

im not "gettind" suplyse im taking chuncks of wood, turning them, hand drilling them, and using old pen parts to make them write. its crude but it works. althow id still like to take it up to the next levle.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
It would help if we knew where your location is. There is a spell check button up in the right hand corner of the messsage box. I see by your stats your 15, If you ask there are a lot of people that would help you get started. Including but not limited to blanks to start turning with. Mike

J pendragon

im in Tennessee around sumner county

"i cant use spell check on this computer beacuse it has a blocker on it that dosnt let the "pop up" come in. so im stuck with whatever i write.:confused:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
im in Tennessee around sumner county

"i cant use spell check on this computer beacuse it has a blocker on it that dosnt let the "pop up" come in. so im stuck with whatever i write.:confused:

Fair enough since you cant use spell checker you will just have to make the effort to improve your spelling. That said, besides woodcraft or rockler stores nearby there are a lot of members here who sell kits to make pens with. You will need to search under FORUMS in the classified sections. Both in the individual and vendor areas. Do you have a lathe for turning yet? What do you have for tools? Mike

J pendragon

yes i have a lath and cutting tools. but what i have dune with these limited reasorses is very basick cap pens. i'll see if i can get a picture in the next few days.

J pendragon

here is a sample of my work

no kit pens. look great but take weeks to do.
there has got to be an easer way.

ldb2000

J , what you are making , Kitless , is what lots of penturners try to make and never do . While kits do look more (better) finished because flashy metal parts , what you are doing is unique . Instead of buying kits and having pens that look like any other kit pens , you should work at perfecting what you are doing .
Parts to make better pens are available from several companies like www.woodnwhimsies.com and www.woodpenpro.com and www.richardlgreenwald.com . I get my transmissions from woodpenpro and clips from woodnwhimsies and my click mechanisms from richard greenwald . I very seldom buy kits anymore instead I make them myself . Aluminum and Brass are very easily turned on a wood lathe and when polished to a high shine can look as good or better then some kit parts .
Go to the "Advanced pen making forum" and start at the beginning and read all the threads . You will find many articles on making kitless pens and use that information to make pens that are truly your own creations .
Take a look at the pens in my photo album , most of them are MY own creations and have an original look that you can't get from a kit .

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I can read the posts just fine because I'm interested in what he is saying not in becoming his school teacher. Just help the guy with his questions. JMHO

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
here is a sample of my work

no kit pens. look great but take weeks to do.
there has got to be an easer way.
Yes there is an easier way, kits are easier and what I do, I only wish I could take the idea of a kitless pen from my mind and get it into reality as you have done. Nice work. I would only change what you are doing by maybe getting new "parts" as opposed to tearing up other pens but hey that works to. Keep it up.

Landon

Craftdiggity

J,

Your pens look pretty good to me. They might take a long time to do, but like Butch said, they are yours alone. Keep your eyes open in the classified section. Smitty has sales for slimline kits all the time and they are great because they are inexpensive and if you have some imagination you can make all sorts of variations on them.

el_d

That's pretty darn Sweet J.
Keep up with your own creations, There are no other pens like it.

Are those snap fit caps????

bobskio2003

You might also want to do a search of the members of the IAP, see if any are in your area, and drop them a private message. For the most part, most are friendly and might be willing to have you stop by to learn a thing or two. Another option is to go to the American Assocation of Woodturners site and look up to see if there is a wood turning group near you. The turning groups are great for a number of reasons.
As Butch said, you certainly have talent and I imagine you are looking for a way to do your style maybe a little quicker and effectiently. Very nice start. It will be interesting to see where you go from here. Bob I.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Here are a few of the Woodcraft stores in TN:

Chattanooga TN 37421
Phone: 423-826-0163

Johnson City TN 37615
Phone: (423) 282-9973

Knoxville TN 37919
Phone: (865) 539-9330

Franklin TN 37064
Phone: (615) 599-9638

I believe there is a Local Chapter meeting for IAP members in the "IN,KY,TN" area.
I know there are some IAP members in TN.

Top Bottom