Need help on vanity kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JoeOCNJ

JoeOCNJ

Hello,
I am trying to make one of the golf divit repair tools. I was on before and asked about double sided tape, 2 seemed the be the favorite so I found both styles and bought them. I tried a few times and achieved epic failure :(

I rough cut the wood (bought from PSI for vanity projects) to just bigger than the mandrel. I put one side of the tape on the wood then remove the other side of the tape and put the mandrel on in the center. I take a razor and score the tape as close as I can get it removing the excess.

I use a wood clamp and clamp the wood and mandrel together and I've let them sit for a few hours, to a week.. Both ending in the same result. I am using a sharp roughing gouge, I use a scrap piece of dowel between the wood and the tailstock.

I have tried speeds as low as 700rpm to as much as 1800 rpm, and after a few light cuts the wood hangs on the gouge and it rips apart from the tape holding it on.

Any suggestions here, I have someone interested in buying one of these and at this rate im never gonna finish one :(

Thanks in advance!
Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I was never a big fan of two sided tape, but never found a better answer, so I learned to turn with the darn tape.

PERSONALLY, I found it is best (FOR ME) to start with the tailstock up against the piece and form it to the general shape I want. Then (back away the tailstock) and use a scraper and start from the middle. The pressure on the middle makes the small piece stay on the tape better. This was the way I did final shaping. Then, sand from the middle out and gently.

If you find really good tape, the next problem is getting the piece OFF the tape. A sharp chisel will help release one side, then the other----careful not to crack the piece you have turned--it is NOT difficult to crack it!!!

Good luck---I did get pretty good at it----CAN be done!!

Last edited:

KenV

I suspect the roughing gouge is taking much too big a bite for a small item held with tape. Spindle roughing gouge is really super for large curves and straighter cuts along the brain, rather than the use you are trying

Double sided tape is a light duty attachment -- and some tape, especially some of those sold for carpet use are not as "holding" as others.

I suspect a small spindle or detail gouge might be a better too choice. A small bowl gouge would also work -- say 1/4 or 3/8 size.

Keep the tool rest close and use ABCs to get fine cuts.

Dale Lynch

Forget the tape,it's a waste of time.Use some thick CA and glue it to some waste stock.Turn,finish,and part it off.Works forbookmarks so I see no reason why it wouln't work for the divot tool. Good luck.

nava1uni

I use hot glue and glue it to a waste block then hold it in a chuck. Use the tail stock to hold it until you get the shape and then use sharp light cuts. Sand gently and gently part it off the waste block.

Fibonacci

I found that the really thin tape worked better than the thicker foam tape. The foam tape is supposed to be stronger, but it seemed to deflect and tear when I tried to use it.

Top Bottom