Need Advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CharlesSharp

I got the center bushings reversed when making a cigar pen.
The nib end was an easy fix, just make it smaller.
The cap end is about .050 undersize and since I used a piece of amboyna burl I want to save it.

Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hello

I agree with the CA bit......in the event that you have the notion to dip in CA to build up evenly and more quickly......don't, too many htings can go wrong - I know this because I was determined to make dipping a CA finish work, and it will, but not consistently.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Charles,

I would make an "oops" ring. Pick a nice contrasting wood - blackwood (some difficulties when sanding- color bleeds), redheart, maple - or whatever YOU like. But, put it in the centerband AND next to the clip also OR, perhaps, just make the "oops" ring START at the bottom of the clip???? So, it looks like a feature????

I have done MANY "oops" rings - I sell the pens for a premium, cause its MORE work and they are DISTINCTIVE>

Good Luck,

leehljp

Member Liaison
Once when I did what you did (twice) I built up the CA using thick CA but the end was "rounded over". It worked but was hard to build up and square off too. At this point I was using the mandrel-less method and not using a bushing as I didn't want it to stick to the bushings. On the second one I cut a washer/spacer out of a butter container lid placed it between the correct bushing and the blank. I built up the CA and it did fine. After getting a build up of CA, I used my barrel trimmer to square up the blank. I made an adapter for my barrel trimmer in which I use a sandpaper disk to sand the end smooth rather than use blades to square it.

For me, I use calipers to determine the final size instead of the bushings.

Top Bottom