deer antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

I've often been furstrated in my efforts to leave some of the outside bark on my deer antler pens. But now, thanks to my new PH pen blank vise it is a lot easier.
I turned one this morning and while the bark is there, the whole effect of the pen is a little too slick, even where the bark is visible. I was imagining that I would be able to make a rustic, high-charactera pen with visible bark areas. After sanding and finishing with CA the bark tends to look more like a defect.
Does anybody have a method of leaving the bark more natural? Sanded, sealed, and highly polished bark areas are a little too sanatized. I'd like the turned surfaces to be slick and polished, but the bark area should be untouched.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Cut your MM into 1" strips and cradle the blank with it when you sand. The MM won't hit the lowspots. Antler polishes up real nice with nothing on it.

Ozzy

Finish the parts you want finished by hand and that way the bark should remain untouched. I have done some hand finishing on tips and they turned out fine.

jskeen

If you want to darken the areas you don't sand to make them contrast more with the white sanded areas, you can dye antler with a solution of potassium permangenate. You can get it at sears, or at plumbing supply places that sell and service water softners. It's used as a backflush solution on salt filters. Mix a couple of tablespoons in a jar of water and soak the unturned antler for anywhere from a half hour to overnight. The exposed areas turn a rich dark brown, and when you turn and sand the interior is white.

James,
I didn't know about the Potassium Permangenate... I like that idea though... I like to leave the bark on my pens and have just depeneded on the sanding to leave the low spots... it helps if you have antler that has a number of "ridges" running vertical on the tines... but can't always depend on that..

On some of my pens, to leave the bark, I try to drill so that I have an inside curve on one side of the blank.. you need a larger blank for this and when you sand, you'll generally not sand over the bark in the curve... sanding as per Rick's suggestion.

Top Bottom