Natural edge bowl...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Skye

Skye

My second or third bowl. I'd say second I've made all on my own, first one I've made with an actual bowl gouge on my own. My first one was a dried walnut blank, done with a round nose scraper... yeah, I had no idea.

Anyhow, here she is. A little thicker walled than I would like, but at this early in the game, I needed a little 'oops' room. Sweetgum my dad cut down a few years ago and had been sitting inside.

I'm starting to get the fever...

1_DSC03436.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Man, you're telling me. That barks bite is worse than it's..... bark. The stuff hurts!

I finished it with this hand wipe on stuff. Just something my FIL suggested. I'll post exactly what it is when I get home. I hit the exterior with the buffing wheels just to get a bit of a shine. The interior is kind of rough and I don't think buffing is even going to help it. I was in a rush to get it done and tired of getting my knuckles cracked trying to sand the inside properly!

Skye

I tried another prior to this and the bark blew off. I've heard if you harvest the wood in the winter the bark will cling to the wood. If it's in the late winter/spring forward, the sap starts to run under the bark and you'll lose that bond.

S

spiritwoodturner

Skye, if you try another one and you're not sure about the bark staying on, flood it with thin super glue. It'll stay on. I sell mine, and am concerned that down the road the bark will come off, so I do it with all of mine. Do it while it's still a bit thick, then you cut any of the CA stain away.

Works great. Nice bowl.

Dale

Dale

jttheclockman

Another safer suggestion for sanding is to use a sanding wheel in a drill. This way you control the sander and do not need the lathe spinning. Any of the big turning supply places have different sanding pads.

I tried another prior to this and the bark blew off. I've heard if you harvest the wood in the winter the bark will cling to the wood. If it's in the late winter/spring forward, the sap starts to run under the bark and you'll lose that bond.

Somtimes, you can drizzle a little thin CA along the bark line and save most of it.. not always.
Edit: I see that Dale already told you this.. I spouted off before I finished reading the thread..

For sanding the inside, if you have a drill, there's a tutorial out on making a sanding ball that will reach inside and save the knuckles... also PSI or CSUSA sells a sanding ball that has a long shaft, but they are a little proud of the thing considering the pricing.

I have the tutorial on a PDF format, but it's 30 pages long... look up David Reed Smith's website under articles and you can see it...

Skye

Cool man, I'll look that info on the sander up. I'll also consider using some thin CA on the bark, just as some extra assurance.

Oh, and the finish is called 'Wood Sheen' by Minwax. Just something I grabbed off the shelf, but seems to be decent stuff. I prefer more of a shine, but some may dig it.

Top Bottom