Nail and String Art

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cryptolo

cryptolo

Hello All,

Recently I came across a project that was too cool to pass on so I made some modifications and gave it a whirl for myself. The original piece I got the idea from was a world map but my interests were focused on Priest Lake in northern Idaho where my Grandmother has a cabin. This is a pallet taken apart, reassembled, sanded, and stained. Then I pounded 150 nails into it and added what seemed like a mile of string and a little bit of paint. Let me know what you think! This is a birthday gift for my Grandma!!

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cryptolo

Wow what a great response! Thanks everyone! The nails are in different lengths but for no reason other than I didn't want to take the time to make them even but making them represent depths would have been a great idea. I used white for more contrast with the boards which I stained.

Lucky2

Very nice, did you treat the nails to prevent them from rusting? We used to make these years ago, and to prevent the nails from rusting we sprayed them with a clear coat of can varnish.
Len

BlackbuttWA

G'day C,
Great project & well done.
Have you thought of using 15mm diamond headed copper nails (hardboard nails) ?
Bought some for my little sister years ago when she was making those pictures etc.

HTH
Col

Tom T

Very cool. Great idea. Granny will love it for sure. Send us a picture of Granny when she gets it. Want to see the big smile.

BlackbuttWA

Quote "Is that to avoid rust?"
No, though I can't really see rust as an issue.
It's just that the copper gives it a different look, & the shorter length of the pins gives more emphasis on the thread.
It was only a suggestion.
Col

Top Bottom