Mystery Item Identification...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timbo

While doing the final cleaning out of my mother-in-law's house, we found these two items buried in her bathroom closet. She had lived there since the early 1950's, and was sort of a hoarder. I have no clue what either one is.

This item is about 5" long. The metal top portion is sterling silver, the bottom is a soft felt like material.

View in Gallery

There are graduations on the flat bottom portion of this glass "jar" that goes up to 16oz., so that it can measure a pint of liquid when held in the verticle position. My wife thinks the glass item looks like a portable urinal used for male patients...she might be right.

View in Gallery

Can anyone identify what either item is for certain??? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTsideshow

Yes that's what they are. The idea behind the glass ones were they were easier to clean out and sterilize than other materials.

The nail buffers came with the set of nail and hair brush sets. There are collectors for both!

Timbo

Thanks all.

Following your leads I did a search on ebay for nail buffers and saw a dozen or more. They were not selling for much, but none of the ones I saw were sterling silver.

Seems like my wife's guess about the glass item was right! Not sure what we'll do with that.

PTsideshow

Thanks all.

Following your leads I did a search on ebay for nail buffers and saw a dozen or more. They were not selling for much, but none of the ones I saw were sterling silver.

Seems like my wife's guess about the glass item was right! Not sure what we'll do with that.
A lot of the sets were plated but looking carefully by the edge or in the pattern might revel the markers mark/name and or the hall marks if it is Sterling
Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks Is a link to on line encyclopedia of Silver hallmarks etc.

As to the glass "duck"
I have seen the metal ones and the wine decanters used as an interesting flower vase!:clown:

Timbo

Thanks all.

A lot of the sets were plated but looking carefully by the edge or in the pattern might revel the markers mark/name and or the hall marks if it is Sterling
Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks Is a link to on line encyclopedia of Silver hallmarks etc.

As to the glass "duck"
I have seen the metal ones and the wine decanters used as an interesting flower vase!:clown:

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Top Bottom