My Wife said I better post This!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sumterdad

sumterdad

Ok so last night my wife turned her second pen. She knows there are a few little quirks but for her second pen she is up there right now. This is a store bought blank with a psi gel clicker. Thanks for viewing.

Attachments

• 2011-10-09_23-35-09_0.jpg
    2011-10-09_23-35-09_0.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 504
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Chris it is definitely best IF you continue to follow her directions.

Nice pen there Mrs. Houston. Keep up the good work on all those that are soon to follow. BTW, Graig has an excellent suggestion on getting your own lathe and tools.

Now see there, Chris. That is not to hard to do. I bet that when I come over to visit you all that the lovely Mrs. Houston will be very glad to give me a piece of her famous cake and a great cup of coffee while we all chat about her next project.

You need to make one more correction ... add the appropriate 'e' as follows,

"Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. ... Isaiah 41:10

Drstrangefart

Looks like things are coming together really well. The kit looks great with the blank. Without trying to be a terrible human being, it's overturned a bit, and that CAN be fixed with CA provided you can do a CA finish. It may take quite a few layers and you'd NEED to wax the bushings first. That's out of the way now, so I will close with saying you guys are definitely on the right track.

sumterdad

Looks like things are coming together really well. The kit looks great with the blank. Without trying to be a terrible human being, it's overturned a bit, and that CAN be fixed with CA provided you can do a CA finish. It may take quite a few layers and you'd NEED to wax the bushings first. That's out of the way now, so I will close with saying you guys are definitely on the right track.

Yea she knew it was over turned. She needs more time with the tools she has problems sometimes when she changes directions but that all will come in time. But the pen kit was the first one like that that I did and it mad me realize that I need to get a chance better pen press. I have bench using a squeeze type clamp which works ok. But for what ever reason this one was more difficult.

Drstrangefart

Yea she knew it was over turned. She needs more time with the tools she has problems sometimes when she changes directions but that all will come in time. But the pen kit was the first one like that that I did and it mad me realize that I need to get a chance better pen press. I have bench using a squeeze type clamp which works ok. But for what ever reason this one was more difficult.

I use my drill press, a tiny anvil and a vinyl hammer to put pens together. If you encounter the overturn again, just pad layers of medium CA on, sand it back down to the right dimensions and polish. MAKE SURE you wax the bejeezuz out of the bushings. You'l regret it big time if you don't. I wish I had figured all of that out earlier, as I have had quite a few overturns that gather dust to this day.

sbell111

I wouldn't build up CA to fix that one. Since you are casting your own blanks, I would cast these tubes in clear PR and simply re-turn the pen.

Edited to add that I just noticed that it is a clicker. Those are a pain the butt to disassemble, so I would just leave things be.

Last edited:

Drstrangefart

I wouldn't build up CA to fix that one. Since you are casting your own blanks, I would cast these tubes in clear PR and simply re-turn the pen.

Edited to add that I just noticed that it is a clicker. Those are a pain the butt to disassemble, so I would just leave things be.

I wouldn't disassemble at this point either. I was referring to catching it before it was taken off the lathe. Re-casting is a pretty neat idea, too. You COULD cast a blank, turn it really thin, the re-cast the tube and all in a translucent color for a pretty cool effect.....

sumterdad

Now see there, Chris. That is not to hard to do. I bet that when I come over to visit you all that the lovely Mrs. Houston will be very glad to give me a piece of her famous cake and a great cup of coffee while we all chat about her next project.

[/quote]

She does make good cakes seeing she makes them for peoples bdays and such. And pretty good at it. So come on down and I will get her to make a cake in a pen shape and we can enjoy it.

Top Bottom