My version of the Earth Cast blank,,,,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

Sorry Karl, I just couldn't resist trying to copy this one. I just loved that Jr. Gent Michael turned with your blank. I may not have the green in mine that yours has though. We'll see how it goes. I plan on turning it later today or this week some eve. I also plan to Double Cast it. First I have to figure out what type of pen I want to make with the first one.
20084619232_earth%20blanks.jpg

I have a new friend coming by Monday, I may give him the second set of blanks. I'll post a topic after the visit. He is a fellow pen crafter from this site.

The reason there is four small blanks is because I still use the small square "Castin-Craft" molds. So it ends up casting two blanks side by side instead of one long blank. Some day I'll be able to afford some of the rubber ones. But these work fine for now.

As soon as I finish the first one, I'll post it in Show Off.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Nice looking cast, Steve! My lawyers will be in touch about the copyright infringement. hehe[:p]

I build my own molds from HDPE. You can usually find decent deals on Ebay for small pieces. :)

What kind of wood is it? I like the shapes you chose, too.

stevers

Part "2".
I turned two of them down to a couple thou under. They are now in the pot curing. Had to get creative to cast the closed end section. Corked off the opened end and stood it up in a piece of PVC. Glued everything real well so it wont leak or fall over. Seems to be working so far. I'll know for sure in the morning. Here is a photo of the tuned blanks before they went in the pot,,,,,,,,,

2008471516_earth%20cast%20part%20550.jpg

stevers

PR. I have a lot better luck with the double cast method. It creates a virtually perfect finish. I cant get the same with CA. But that's just me. I use CA/BLO on most woods. I learned how to use the BLO part of the equation a few weeks ago and love it.

stevers

Here is the finished product. I also posted it in Show Off. It's titled "Double cast earth euro".
Thanks for looking and fallowing this little saga.

2008495341_earth%20cast%20euro%20crop%20oval.jpg

I've done 3 or 4 and I am getting to near perfection on the finish end of the equation. There are a couple of little quirks that have to be allowed for.

I took this from another post because I did not want to take that post off track.

Steve,

Would you elaborate on the quirks?

stevers

Steve,
The main thing I've found I have to watch is the thinner ends of the barrels on the second cast and at the time of assembly. Twice now I have had blanks crack right at the nib when I went to press in the nib. It is a two fold problem. First being, when I cast then re-cast the blank, junk gets into the inside of the tube. If I don't remember to clean it out with the pen mill and/or rat tail file, when I press in the nib, because of the thin material, It cracks out. (yes, that was a long sentence) I "believe" this is because of the thin nature of the nib end. It was on a Euro and a Jr. Gent II. This isn't so much of a finish problem as an after finish problem. I am also trying to get the PR of consistent thickness over the length of the barrels.
I have also had a problem on one cast with the PR adhering to the barrel cast first. For some reason it lifted off and left voids between the new and old castings. I'm still puzzled about that one. The only thing I did diff was using PVC to cast the second layer. And the other half of the pen was re-cast in a medicine bottle. Only thing I can figure is the PR reacted diff with the PVC. It may have shrank in an unusuall manor.

Anyway, I miss spoke, none of these problems are directly related to finish. The finish is straight forward, wet sand through 12,000 MM and polish with Hutt PP.

JohnU

Originally posted by karlkuehn

I build my own molds from HDPE. You can usually find decent deals on Ebay for small pieces. :)
What is HDPE? Ive made a couple molds from the bathroom caulk but I would like to try something else.

Steve, very nice blanks and pen. I poured a couple similar blanks with some elm burl but havent turned them yet. Im afraid I'll ruin them and they look so nice in blank form.:)

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
HDPE is high desity polyethylene, a specialized plastic. UHMW (ultra high molecular weight plastic) and acetal (delrin) will also work.

sbell111

My 'slab' molds are made out of either UHMW or poly cutting boards.

A while back, I bought a three-pack of poly cutting boards from Target for around twenty bucks. The table saw and some duct tape turned one of these into an awesome mold.

More recently, I discovered that Woodcraft sells bags of UHMW 'jig stock' which are basically various sized cutoffs. They have two different size bags, the smaller one was about $10 and the larger one was about $20. I bought one of each and have plenty to make various size molds.

mwwoodworks

I too am about to venture into pouring acrylic moulds. (Very excited to start!) I have a couple of questions...
1, I am wanting to pour mostly wine stopper blanks, does anyone know of anything I should look out for when pouring thicker blanks?
2, Choosing materials to make the moulds from... Has anyone tried or know of any reason why I shouldn't try using Corian? I do renovations and have a counter top that is white corian?
Thanks for any insight!

Mark,
Williamsburg, Virginia
www.mwwoodworks.com

follow3

Originally posted by mwwoodworks

I too am about to venture into pouring acrylic moulds. (Very excited to start!) I have a couple of questions...
1, I am wanting to pour mostly wine stopper blanks, does anyone know of anything I should look out for when pouring thicker blanks?
2, Choosing materials to make the moulds from... Has anyone tried or know of any reason why I shouldn't try using Corian? I do renovations and have a counter top that is white corian?
Thanks for any insight!

Mark,
Williamsburg, Virginia
www.mwwoodworks.com

Hey Mark,

Corian should be ok, but you may want to use a release agent. I have found that I can use a lot of materials for molds if I give the mold a light spray with "Pam" before each cast. I am also a remodeler and one of my favorite mold materials is 3/4" "Azek" or any other brand of PVC board, but it has to be sprayed. I am pretty close to you (Hampton) and I get PVC board from Lansing building products in N.N.
But, like I said, if you have Corian on hand...Use it, just give it a shot of "Pam" first.

I took a look at your site...NICE!!! Those miniatures are cool!
Where do you get the Soapstone and the Bluemoon Talc? Those are both very good looking materials.

Steve

PS: Be careful, casting is just as addictive as turning!!!

mwwoodworks

There is a picinic Saturday? LOL Nobody told me?!
Wow, you guys are pretty close to me? I am actually about 20 min. outside of Williamsburg toward Richmond. Chesapeake is a bit of a ways from me and I don't know anything about that area but I would be interested in knowing more just in case I can get over there?!

Follow3 - Thanks for the compliment! I got most of the talcs and alabasters from one of the miniature turners when I first started turning them. They had some pieces laying around and I wanted to try turning different materials. I have been able to find some stuff but usually it is more expensive than I can handle right now. :) I have "Pam"! I have my very own high tech "release agent"! LOL

Mark
Shacklefords, VA. AKA Boonies

mwwoodworks

Although that sounds like a load of fun, I don't think I can swing that this year?! Too short notice. Would love to make the trip next year though.

By the way, Steve, these really do look cool! I can't wait to get all the casting supplies!!! That is going to be fun!

Top Bottom