My son is a Marine...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from butchf18a

butchf18a

..Scout Sniper Platoon Commander with one Afghanistan tour under his belt and preparing for another one this year.

Made these marquetry pieces for him. Emblem 12" in diameter, 256 pieces. Unit emblem, 2nd Batt 3rd Mar. Didn't count the pieces. And finally piece in the works, Sniper Jack, sniper platoon symbol. I lost count of number pieces long ago.

Attachments

• USMC1.jpg
    USMC1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 186
  • USMC eagle globe.jpg
    USMC eagle globe.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 173
  • 2bn3mar.jpg
    2bn3mar.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 170
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hehndc

Thank your son for his service.

When my son did his tours in Iraq I made some pens with the FOB name and the city they were near. Those pens gave me a huge since of pride for my son. I am sure you have similar feeling regarding those marquetry pieces.

Best regards,

Steve

butchf18a

Yes, I am exceptionally proud of him. While he was in country I also made and sent pens for the his Marines to use. We can never do enough for any of them. The other day while traveling home from Dallas, I gave a young Marine heading home on leave to get married my first class seat.

Jim Burr

Banned
My son just graduated from Marine Basic a week ago today...Delta company Platoon 1063 from MCRD San Diego. Chief of troops is an old/ancient friend...so old that we served in Desert Shield as a Recon team, Lt Cmndr(ret). I have some pen ideas, but they may take a while. My wife and I are driving our son back to Pendleton on Tuesday...new pen in hand but just for him. God bless your son...Sniper duty is tough, but those guys are great!!

butchf18a

sniper jack

not yet mounted or framed, but the cutting and inlay is complete. don't ask how many pieces, I lost count a long time ago.

Attachments

• sniper jack Adjusted.jpg
    sniper jack Adjusted.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 112

butchf18a

My son just graduated from Marine Basic a week ago today...Delta company Platoon 1063 from MCRD San Diego. Chief of troops is an old/ancient friend...so old that we served in Desert Shield as a Recon team, Lt Cmndr(ret). I have some pen ideas, but they may take a while. My wife and I are driving our son back to Pendleton on Tuesday...new pen in hand but just for him. God bless your son...Sniper duty is tough, but those guys are great!!

Jim,

Congratulations and Semper Fi to your son. My last service was Desert Storm. One of my unique pleasures with my son was after his commissioning I delivered him to The Basic School, and he was living in the same building I lived in as a young 2ndLT 30 years prior. He shared with me after his OCS graduation that knowing I had run, sweated, hurt, did the same obstacle course (which is still there), was all the motivation he needed to endure all the trials that are part and parcel to Marine basic training, either Officer or enlisted.

The Marquetry is all for him, and perhaps someday he will be able to pass it all on to a son or daughter who joins the Marines.

Neat!

I have a Sergeant who works for me that does the most amazing hand burned Eagle Globe and Anchors, can't enough Love Me wall stuff!

Top Bottom