My new lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I stopped off at my local Woodcraft a couple of weeks ago and saw that they still had 3 of these Nova DVR XP lathes leftover from their Black Friday sale. I went home & told my wife about the $800 discount & $300 worth of free tools and without hesitation, she said "sounds like you better jump on that deal".

I am so blessed to have a wife who not only tolerates this obsession, but also enthusiastically supports it.

My son & I got the lathe set up, cleaned & adjusted yesterday. I still need to install a surge protector (this thing has a microprocessor for load sensing & speed control) and extend my DC ducts before I do any serious turning, but boy is it smooth & quiet.

Attachments

• NOVA_DVR_XP.jpg
    NOVA_DVR_XP.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 481
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Edgar; Now I see why the smiley face was so big in your last thread !!! Enjoy!!! You might want to check into having a surge protector installed in your main panel to protect everything in your shop. Happy New Year also, as you already had a merry Christmas !!! Jim S

Charlie_W

Congrats on the Nova! It will serve you well. Smart to jump on the deal.

I see a Jacobs chuck in the headstock with some wood. Can't tell from the pic but I hope you have a draw bar to keep the chuck in place. We don't want to hear about any injuries.

Enjoy the new lathe!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Congrats on the Nova! It will serve you well. Smart to jump on the deal.

I see a Jacobs chuck in the headstock with some wood. Can't tell from the pic but I hope you have a draw bar to keep the chuck in place. We don't want to hear about any injuries.

Enjoy the new lathe!

Yep! There is definitely a drawbar on that chuck!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Edgar; Now I see why the smiley face was so big in your last thread !!! Enjoy!!! You might want to check into having a surge protector installed in your main panel to protect everything in your shop. Happy New Year also, as you already had a merry Christmas !!! Jim S

I'll check into that, Jim. Sounds like a good idea - thanks.

keithbyrd

I got one of those about 3 years ago! You are gonna love it! The bells and whistles will inspire you to be turning some awesome bowls in a very short time!!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Sounds like your wife and I share something in common...we like to see our hubbies enjoy turning on solid equipment and we were instrumental in getting our hubbies Nova lathes. Happy and safe turnings.

Thanks, Robin - you & Janis have a lot more in common. She was also a teacher & also enjoys sewing and stitchery. :)

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
Congratulations on your very supportive wife and also on your new lathe. May you have many years of happiness turning beautiful work on that wonderful lathe.

I too added to my shop - thanks to my wife and a couple of pen sales for Christmas. I have wanted a small drill press for a variety of odd jobs around the shop (not including drilling pen blanks which I do on the lathe and intend to continue doing so) so I got a small 10 inch drill press for Christmas .I've had a couple of occasions when using a hand held drill motor where the drill bit skated and almost bit my finger - once when it did and since I take blood thinners I had a hard time stopping the bleeding so my wife encouraged me to get a drill press where work pieces can be drilled safely. It's due tomorrow.

wingnut720

"Ditto"

Edgar...your posting sounds exactly like my experience from the Black Friday sale at Woodcraft. My wife encouraged me to take advantage of the $800 discount...I jumped at the chance...got that beautiful piece of machinery set up...and absolutely love turning on the smoothest lathe I have ever experienced. What a blessing it is to have wives who support our turning enjoyment. I'm looking forward to many years of DVR enjoyment, and I imagine you are as well. God bless and happy turning!!! :)

Bobostro61

Awesome! Very nice! Congrats on the deal you got. I've been looking at those for a while now. I have a Jet VS1221 which is serving me well. It's only a year old now and I'm not really ready to sink more money into a new lathe just yet. I might wait for a while and maybe get the new Nova Galaxy 1644. Time will tell. Enjoy that new lathe. I've heard nothing but all thumbs up about them.

duncsuss

Congratulations on your new lathe, Ed -- I couldn't spring for the DVR when I was ready to upgrade from a HarborFright unit, but got the 1624-44 when it was on sale at Woodcraft. Nova makes great lathes IMO.

One accessory I find invaluable -- the Acruline double-ended Morse taper. It makes realignment of the head & tailstock really simple, whether it's after you rotated the headstock or simply want to make sure the tailstock alignment plate hasn't drifted.

Link to Amazon ... HERE

robutacion

G'day Edgar,

Deals like that, are rare to see, I'm glad that, a couple of IAP members (as far as I'm aware) have grabbed that opportunity, congrats...!

One day, I will own one of those...!

Cheers
George

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks for that link, Duncan - I am going to order one tonight! I did my initial alignments with my 60 deg centers, but that alignment tool should make it a lot easier & more accurate.

duncsuss

Thanks for that link, Duncan - I am going to order one tonight! I did my initial alignments with my 60 deg centers, but that alignment tool should make it a lot easier & more accurate.

You're welcome!

I still use 60 degree centers as a quick check to see if things are still aligned: just trap a Stanley cutter blade between the points, if the blade stays square everything is good.

The way I do it ... take the centers out, loosen the 4 hex bolts on the plate under the tailstock, and loosen the bolt that locks down the headstock. Put the Acruline into the tailstock and slide it all the way into the headstock. Tighten all the bolts, et voila :biggrin:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Congrats on the new lathe! It looks too clean. Be sure to post an "after" photo. :)

Thanks - I will.

I finished that bottle stopper that's in the photo & made a plywood shelf for the bottom of the stand today. I need to extend my DC ducts over to the lathe before I do any serious turning though & I'm going to install a couple more light fixtures. I can really tell that I'm going to enjoy it - hard to believe how smooth & quiet it is.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Won't be long till we see some pecan bowls and platters coming off that DVR!

Part of my motivation for a lathe upgrade is my abundance of pecan wood. Thanks to the 5-year drought we have experienced here in Texas, almost every one of our large (300-500 yr old) pecan trees has lost at least one huge limb. Each of those limbs is big as a tree themselves - 18"-30" in dia at the break and 30-40' long. I do have a lot of good sized logs stacked up. :)

TimS124

Congrats! I picked up a Nova 3000 about 15 years or so ago as my first "real" lathe and enjoyed every minute with that lathe! Yours is about three generations newer/fancier/better...wishing you many many years of enjoyment from it!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Edgar,
Congrats on the new lathe !!! We're jealous but what's up with that shop? It is W A Y too clean!
Cheers
Bob

I spent 2 days cleaning up & reorganizing my shop to clear a good location for the lathe - I can actually walk all the way around it & there is plenty of room to work from either side of the lathe. This is probably the cleanest my shop has been since I built it. :)

Congratulations on the new Nova... that was the lathe I went down to buy about 8 years ago... the owner of the Woodcraft store in K'ville said she had only sold one the previous year and the customer had returned it... he kept breaking the spindle ???? .. it's a direct drive I think... at any rate, she talked me into the Jet1442 which I love, even with having to replace the innerds of the headstock... I've run it over 8 years and still going...

I've a friend that has one and he thinks it's the cats meow. Only complaint I have of my Jet is the Reeves speed control... would rather have had the EVS control.

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks Chuck. I had been eyeing one of those larger Jet lathes until this sale opportunity on the Nova popped up. The digital variable reluctance direct drive is what really sold me on it. I design & program microcontroller circuit boards for a living, so the idea of smart technology in a lathe motor drive really appealed to me.

Top Bottom