My first pocket watch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rizaydog

rizaydog

I made a pocket watch today and thought I would share.
It is made from a small piece of walnut.
I turned the piece round and flattened the tailstock face.
Next, I used a 1 3/8" fostner bit in the tailstock to bore a hole 1/4" deep.
Using a bowl gouge, I made a curve on the front surface of the clock.
I parted halfway through the piece to form the back side.
I rounded over the edge.
Next, I sanded the front and side. I applied friction polish on the two surfaces.
I parted the piece off and turned a tennon the the waste left on the chuck. I pressed the clock hole onto the tennon to use as a friction chuck.
I rounded over the back side of the clock, sanded, and finished as before.
I used a 1/4" bit to drill the hole in the top of the clock for the chain. Using a drop of CA glue, I inserted the chain post into the 1/4" hole.
Lastley, I inserted the clock into the 1 3/8" hole alligning the "12" to the chain post.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

Great job!

I have 2 questions that I'm hoping you or someone here can answer.....

1) I was wondering about how exactly you make a jam chuck? I've heard of that term,but never seen how to do one.

2) Also,how does the part that's on the end of the chain work? does it hook into a belt loop,or the belt?

I'd like to try making one,thanks for posting how you did it!

Steve

rizaydog

Thanks for your replies.
1) I was wondering about how exactly you make a jam chuck? I've heard of that term,but never seen how to do one.

2) Also,how does the part that's on the end of the chain work? does it hook into a belt loop,or the belt?

Steve, for this project, I made a jam chuck by cutting a small tenon on the scrap of wood that was left on the lathe. I just took small cuts until the 1 3/8" hole on the watch would slid onto the tenon. It has to be a very tight fit. I had to tap the back of the watch with my tool handle to get it to go on. This friction between the tenon and hole is what holds the watch onto the lathe. This allows full access to the back side of the watch without marring the front.

Top Bottom