My first pepper mill!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey guys,

This is my first peppermill. The wood is maple, I ordered german made drill bits by Colt and I am really satisfied. Making a mill is quite complicated, I am actually pretty happy that I was able to assemble one at first try. The mill has to be precisely drilled with 4 different drill bits. I went with a Crush Grind mechanism which is awesome. If anyone is curious here is the instructions I used.

Finish is only wax, I made this one in about 3 hours, I consider it a experiment. Now I need to find a 3"x3"x12" cocobolo blank. :):):)

Thanks for your time,

Charles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crabcreekind

Very nice, my salt mill I made was similar to yours. My dad prefers the chef specialties kits. Because of the stainless steel, and the ease of them to make. And also the plastic part in the top that clamps onto the rod, could be easily broken.

Try this guy for cocobolo Cocobolo King/Diamond Tropical Hardwoods/Exotic Hardwoods From Latin America
My dad bought a pallet of big cocobolo, and he only got charged for 3x3. And now we have lots of cutoffs. very reasonable pricing.

Another thing to remember about cocobolo peppermills. YOU MUST finish the inside of the mill, or else the oils may get on the pepper and cause harm. My dad uses a salad bowl finish, then sets the mill on a flat fan, to air it out faster.

Hope all this helps. Im glad you bought the colt bits. But even with colt bits, they will still cake with cocobolo.

1080Wayne

Charles , for what its worth , when I display pepper mills , lamps , bud vases or other items of similar size , people invariably pick them up and look at the bottom , which leaves me with two conclusions : 1) the bottom needs to be finished to the same standard as the rest , and 2) the bottom is the best place to sign my work .

CharlesH

Thanks for the input! :)

C

Very nice, my salt mill I made was similar to yours. My dad prefers the chef specialties kits. Because of the stainless steel, and the ease of them to make. And also the plastic part in the top that clamps onto the rod, could be easily broken.

Try this guy for cocobolo Cocobolo King/Diamond Tropical Hardwoods/Exotic Hardwoods From Latin America
My dad bought a pallet of big cocobolo, and he only got charged for 3x3. And now we have lots of cutoffs. very reasonable pricing.

Another thing to remember about cocobolo peppermills. YOU MUST finish the inside of the mill, or else the oils may get on the pepper and cause harm. My dad uses a salad bowl finish, then sets the mill on a flat fan, to air it out faster.

Hope all this helps. Im glad you bought the colt bits. But even with colt bits, they will still cake with cocobolo.

CharlesH

Good point!

C

Charles , for what its worth , when I display pepper mills , lamps , bud vases or other items of similar size , people invariably pick them up and look at the bottom , which leaves me with two conclusions : 1) the bottom needs to be finished to the same standard as the rest , and 2) the bottom is the best place to sign my work .

Top Bottom