my first cast attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mwhatch

These are my first two cast blanks. A "Gone Fishing" sticker and a classic airplane stamp. I used a resin saver mold. I did not have any trouble with bubbles, but I did have what looks like some separation between the tube and the PR. You can see it in the close up of the airplane tube which has never been assembled, and near the top of the gone fishing pen. I used painted tubes from Woodcraft. The tubes were pretty glossy. I wonder If I should have scuffed the tubes or maybe paint my own. Any ideas of what might help?

Thanks
Morton

Attachments

• DSCI0031.jpg
    DSCI0031.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 357
  • DSCI0015 (2).jpg
    DSCI0015 (2).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 277
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Let me start by saying I'm no expert. If the separation isn't caused by air it may not have bonded to the tube. You didn't say if you use pressure but I do and still have trouble. I also noticed if I put a thin coat of elmers or white glue on the tube before gluing stamps or whatever it really helps. I also use PR.

mwhatch

I did not use pressure, I have had pretty good luck without. I think next time I will scuff the tube a little.

Morton

Kenny Durrant

I just started using the white tubes from woodcraft. Of course it seems every time I do something a little different it's like starting all over again. I don't know if I know what I'm doing or just getting lucky with my good days and bad days. Anyway good luck and let us or me know if you come up with something new.

Tage

I had the same issue, I am still trying to figure out casting a company logo. I agree, the resin didn't adhere to the tube for whatever reason. I used resin saver molds, no vaccuum/pressure here either. You mentioned painting the tubes yourself. I found that the heat from the mold bubbled the paint. My work around was to use an Avery label and wrap the entire tube with the label for the white background. That worked EXCEPT, that I used a thin red Sharpie to mark the tube so I could wrap the label straight (it was a PIA getting it the right size and lined up), and the red bled through, presumably from the heat again. I haven't had the opportunity to try round 3. Best of luck.

Edit to clarify, I am a total newbie in casting. Just trying to share my similar experience in the hopes it sheds some light.

Gilrock

Were you able to see that defect before you started turning? The reason I ask is I had a casted blank that looked something like that. I concluded the solution was after you square the end you need to seal it with a small amount of CA to prevent wet sanding from possibly leaking water at the edge.

Top Bottom