My first Bottle Stopper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I got this piece of wood (species unknown to ME) at Woodturningz where we had our last local chapter meeting . Sanded to 400 , then 4 coats of friction polish from CSUSA and Renwax . I may try sanding sealer and buff on the next one . I like the color and grain on this wood . Not crazy about the shape . Definate room for improvement in that area . Thanks for looking !

Attachments

• IMG_0610.JPG
    IMG_0610.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0611.JPG
    IMG_0611.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 148
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gmreeves

Looks good to me! I've got about 5 or 6 tops finished but haven't put them on their base. It is kind of fun to just mount the block and start turning.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Looks good to me! I've got about 5 or 6 tops finished but haven't put them on their base. It is kind of fun to just mount the block and start turning.
Thanks ! I did have a good time . Just a little indecisive about what to do with it . I found they're alot quicker to make than pens .

glwalker

Very Nice

I like the wood, the finish and also the shape. My guess is the wood is Padauk. If your lathe, floor, work bench, body, etc. were covered in creapy red/orange dust, then it is Padauk. The wood does turn nice and I've had good luck with BLO/CA finishes on it. If this wood is Padauk it will darken with age..... exposure to light/heat. But it will remain beautiful!

The only thing I'd do different is I like to undercut the bottom of the wood blank so when you screw on the stopper the edge of it is recessed/hidden by the wood. No big deal, but I like that look.

I've used all kinds of stoppers(Chrome, stainless, cork) and I like the style you used the best. I still do some cork ones (flor cork) as some wine people have a thing about natural corks. But in my mind the one you are using is a good one, it shows well (better than cork) and I like the way they fit the bottle.

Turning these things can get addictive!

Again, very nice work!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I agree it looks like padauk, Chuck.

Deep grain in some places. Orange shop for weeks.

It's a nice, simple shape. You MAY decide to cut deeper above your "shoulder" to make the top look more "round". No matter how you cut them, SOMEONE will like it. IN fact MANY will RAVE about the great look. Trouble is, finding someone who will BUY it!!!

(But that has been my experience with ALL bottle stoppers)

Great start!!!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I like the wood, the finish and also the shape. My guess is the wood is Padauk. If your lathe, floor, work bench, body, etc. were covered in creapy red/orange dust, then it is Padauk. The wood does turn nice and I've had good luck with BLO/CA finishes on it. If this wood is Padauk it will darken with age..... exposure to light/heat. But it will remain beautiful!

The only thing I'd do different is I like to undercut the bottom of the wood blank so when you screw on the stopper the edge of it is recessed/hidden by the wood. No big deal, but I like that look.

I've used all kinds of stoppers(Chrome, stainless, cork) and I like the style you used the best. I still do some cork ones (flor cork) as some wine people have a thing about natural corks. But in my mind the one you are using is a good one, it shows well (better than cork) and I like the way they fit the bottle.

Turning these things can get addictive!

Again, very nice work!
Thank you Gary ! From all indications you've mentioned , I have here a Padauk bottle stopper . You're also right about it being easy to turn . I've had these stoppers and mandrels from Arizona Silhouette for over two years but , been too chicken to make the plunge . My cousin has wanted one with red wood for red wine and , one with white (light color) wood for white wine . I recall telling him to pick out his own wood but , I got a sudden urge to make my first one . I will have to try that undercut sometime . I've seen those . Thanks !

I agree it looks like padauk, Chuck.

Deep grain in some places. Orange shop for weeks.

It's a nice, simple shape. You MAY decide to cut deeper above your "shoulder" to make the top look more "round". No matter how you cut them, SOMEONE will like it. IN fact MANY will RAVE about the great look. Trouble is, finding someone who will BUY it!!!

(But that has been my experience with ALL bottle stoppers)

Great start!!!
Thank you Ed ! I really don't even expect to sell any of these things but , I can at least put it on my turning resume now . :biggrin: Thanks for the tips !

David Keller

Looks good to me... There are endless variations on form and style, so they can be a lot of fun.

As for the wood, if the dust wasn't orange, my first thought was bloodwood which can look pretty similar... the dust would be more red than orange if it is bloodwood.

FrankG

Looks good to me... There are endless variations on form and style, so they can be a lot of fun.

As for the wood, if the dust wasn't orange, my first thought was bloodwood which can look pretty similar... the dust would be more red than orange if it is bloodwood.

Me, too. My first thought was bloodwood or redheart. Not that much orange in the picture, but that could just be the color balance.

JimB

Bottle stoppers are fun! You really get a chance to free style with the designs. I often don't have a specific design in mind and just start turning and see what happens.

RAdams

Banned
Bottle stoppers are fun! You really get a chance to free style with the designs. I often don't have a specific design in mind and just start turning and see what happens.

NICE STOPPER! I like the shape.

I also "freestyle" my stoppers. I have two basic shapes that i try to stick with, but the details are always different. I am starting to dabble in other shapes.

I have actually had pretty good luck selling them. I did a show last October and sold quite a few. I use mostly PR on mine, but i do have a few wood ones.

tbfoto

Looks good Chuck!. I've made many bottle stoppers and they are fun to make. I usually let the wood tell me what shape it is going to be. I just start cutting and soon a specific shape starts to develope. I don't think any two I've made are the same exact shape.

See ya at the next meeting!

Tom

Top Bottom