My Entry into the Bottle Opener World

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PaulDoug

PaulDoug

I just finished my first bottle opener today. The flat shanks give a bit of a challenge, but fun. I think I got the handle a little small in proportion to the size of the opener, so the next handle will be a little bigger. The wood is cocobolo, the accent is alternate ivory. Beads are done with my new D-Way beading tool. I love it, so everything I turn will have beads for awhile. I didn't apply a finish just sanded, MM and than buffed.

Attachments

• 1IMG_2804sm.JPG
    1IMG_2804sm.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 175
  • sm.JPG
    sm.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_2801sm.JPG
    IMG_2801sm.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 165
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

clapiana

very nice looking bottle opener

wow what a slick looking opener! i love the ivory accents. did you cut into that ivory with a saw to be able to insert the head? again a great job ;)

PaulDoug

wow what a slick looking opener! i love the ivory accents. did you cut into that ivory with a saw to be able to insert the head? again a great job ;)

I turned the Ivory "cap" then laid a small stiff back saw I have across the tool rest to steady it and sawed deep enough so it was the width of the shank. Than I took it to the drill press and drilled several small holes through the cap using the saw cut as the guide. Than x-acto knife and a small thin file to work it out to the correct size. The strips on the sides are separate pieces.

Thanks for the nice comments.

clapiana

oh ok.....the side pieces is what threw me...so you didnt go all the way into the handle with the saw but only far enough for the shank to be inserted....then you added the side pieces later on for cosmetics. did you use your exacto to make and gouge on the side and just glued those white strips into? again its a nice design which looks sharp.

PenMan1

Paul:
I really like it! AND I think the handle is the perfect size for those of us who drink lite beer. Now for a Guiness, you make want to consider a STOUT handle:)

PaulDoug

oh ok.....the side pieces is what threw me...so you didnt go all the way into the handle with the saw but only far enough for the shank to be inserted....then you added the side pieces later on for cosmetics. did you use your exacto to make and gouge on the side and just glued those white strips into? again its a nice design which looks sharp.

Not quite, I did saw (on the Bandsaw) and then file the depth of the shank on the cocobolo. The side pieces of ivory fill in the part taken out of the cocobolo.

Maybe we are saying the same thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom