My COMPLETED First Kitless.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

Great! I like the incorporation of the "off-the-shelf" front section. This is just a matter of preference, but I think it gives it a more professional and sleek look. Where did you get it at? I know I have seen them for sale, I just can't remember where.

Gary, Thank you. I'm sorry I didn't notice your question earlier..The off the shelf front section is one I borrowed from an El Grande kit that I had. I just switched out the stock nib for a Heritance. I'm not sure where you can get the nib, feed, housing and front section that all come together. I'm sure there is someone on the Forum that would probably know. Doc

Simplex

Great! I like the incorporation of the "off-the-shelf" front section. This is just a matter of preference, but I think it gives it a more professional and sleek look. Where did you get it at? I know I have seen them for sale, I just can't remember where.

Gary, Thank you. I'm sorry I didn't notice your question earlier..The off the shelf front section is one I borrowed from an El Grande kit that I had. I just switched out the stock nib for a Heritance. I'm not sure where you can get the nib, feed, housing and front section that all come together. I'm sure there is someone on the Forum that would probably know. Doc

Doc -

No problem. I actually did some hunting around after I posted this question and found (I think) a couple sources for the front section only:

http://www.bereahardwoods.com/pen-kit/sets/Nib_El_Grande_type_medium.html

http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=35_39

http://www.arizonasilhouetteinc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1060

Looking forward to seeing more of your kitless work!

PenMan1

Doc, they just kep getting better and better! I wake up each morning hoping to see a new Wizard post. EXCELLENT WORK! I am a "clip guy", simply because otherwise I lose them. IMHO, a clip would ruin the look of this beauty!

JeffT

That's a beauty! When going kitless like this, does the shaped pen still have enough beef to be durable or does the shell become delicate/brittle. I would be nervous as heck to have a beautiful pen like that and even think about dropping it!

wizard

Jeff,
Most everything I've learned is from Justin (Timebandit).I'll ask Justin to comment on what he thinks about the durability because I'm still a novice. I've only made one kitless pen so with that in mind I can tell you what I think. The body of the pen has a outer diameter of 14 mm and the inner diameter of 9 mm leaving a wall thickness of 5mm near the central portion of the cap. The cap has an outer diameter at 16 mm with inner diameter of around 10.2 mm. The walls decrease in thickness with the taper toward the ends but still seem sturdy enough. The major problem or weak area that I see is the thinner area at the threads on the body of the pen holding the section. Justin gave me a kitless pen similar to this for my birthday and it rolled off a dresser dropped about 4 feet onto a wooden floor and the pen broke at the threads. :redface:.
Regards, Doc

OKLAHOMAN

Doc, your early morning posts just start my day off along with a cup of coffee. Each morning I need my coffee and Wizard fix. This one is a must see when we see you in October.

Rounder

Jeff,
Most everything I've learned is from Justin (Timebandit).I'll ask Justin to comment on what he thinks about the durability because I'm still a novice. I've only made one kitless pen so with that in mind I can tell you what I think. The body of the pen has a outer diameter of 14 mm and the inner diameter of 9 mm leaving a wall thickness of 5mm near the central portion of the cap. The cap has an outer diameter at 16 mm with inner diameter of around 10.2 mm. The walls decrease in thickness with the taper toward the ends but still seem sturdy enough. The major problem or weak area that I see is the thinner area at the threads on the body of the pen holding the section. Justin gave me a kitless pen similar to this for my birthday and it rolled off a dresser dropped about 4 feet onto a wooden floor and the pen broke at the threads. :redface:.
Regards, Doc

I had the same thing happen on a pen Timebandit gave his Mom for Mother's Day. I admired the pen, then laid it on a table and turned away. I suddenly saw parts flying and the pen had rolled off and broke at the thread area. Made me feel about a half inch high to break such a beautiful gift.:eek::mad::frown: That is one of the ONLY reasons I can see adding a clip to these beauties. So I make it a point NOT to lay my clipless FP down unless I am POSITIVE it can not roll off and break. I keep it in my pants pocket when not in use.

Timebandit

That's a beauty! When going kitless like this, does the shaped pen still have enough beef to be durable or does the shell become delicate/brittle. I would be nervous as heck to have a beautiful pen like that and even think about dropping it!

Jeff,
Regards, Doc

I had the same thing happen on a pen Timebandit gave his Mom for Mother's Day. I admired the pen, then laid it on a table and turned away. I suddenly saw parts flying and the pen had rolled off and broke at the thread area. Made me feel about a half inch high to break such a beautiful gift.:eek::mad::frown: That is one of the ONLY reasons I can see adding a clip to these beauties. So I make it a point NOT to lay my clipless FP down unless I am POSITIVE it can not roll off and break. I keep it in my pants pocket when not in use.

Jeff,

As you can see from these two accounts, these pens are not invencible. Nor is a MontBlanc, Parker, Swan or any other pen that is made in this fashion without the reinforcement of the brass tubs inside and all metal fittings for threads and such. That being said, many kit pens have met there fate with a fall or drop as well. CA can easily crack or chip as well as the wood underneath with the right fall. The threads are going to be the weak area on any pen of this sort. I have a few design changes that are going to strengthen the body a little more as well as starting to use the new 14mm tap & die set i just got which is going to add more meat at the threaded area. Again, with the right fall these pens WILL break, but with a little TLC, these pens should last for many many years with no problems.

PS: Doc, your measurements are a little off there on the cap:biggrin: The cap outer is more around 15.5mm and the inner is 11.2 not 10.2:tongue: Good answer though. Spoken like a true professional:wink:

Top Bottom