My COMPLETED First Kitless.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Thought I'd post a work in progress. Made this over the space of two mornings. It's my first kitless with our triple start tap and die. It's a double closed end fountain pen made from a Burgundy acrylic. Has an ElGrande front section to which I substituted a Heritance medium nib. Still trying to finish an acceptable and intact :rolleyes: front section. Will post better pictures when I finish the front section. By the way, this creation would definitely not have happened without Justin (TimeBandit) who has been my mentor and teacher. Thanks so much Justin:). Comments welcome but most of all thanks for just looking. Doc:)

8/19/2011 Made Front Section this A.M. Didn't want to start a new thread just to show the front section :biggrin:. Doc

Attachments

• Burgundy_3.jpg
    Burgundy_3.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 520
  • Burgundy_4.jpg
    Burgundy_4.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 359
  • Burgundy Section.jpg
    Burgundy Section.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 316
  • Burgundy Section_1.jpg
    Burgundy Section_1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:

bluwolf

I think you're off to a great start! Nice and clean looking and the threads look look very well done.

ToddMR

Doc that is a really nice kitless. The proportions look right to me. The blank is really nice as well. Good job!

omb76

That looks great Doc! The threads are some of the nicest and cleanest that I have seen done. Congrats on such an accomplishment!

turbowagon

Looks great, Doc! Keep trying the front section.... took me about 4 or 5 attempts before I got the hang of it. Not much thickness in the walls when you're using the 12mm triple-start combined with a #6 nib. I find drilling the cap with a 29/64" bit works great and allows for a little more clearance for the section (compared w/ a 7/16" bit). Just be sure your male threads outside diameter isn't much below 12mm if drilling with the 29/64".

Looking forward to seeing more kitless pens from you!

- Joe

Timebandit

There it is!!!!!! Congrats Doc!!!:biggrin: After seeing the pics you sent me yesterday i was anxious for you to post it!!! Like i said yesterday, this looks great and i am really happy for you!! Your threads look great!!! Now get to work on that section!!! I know its the hardest part and takes the longest, but just hang in there and you will have them in no time. Ether way, I am really proud of you. This is great for your first one!!:biggrin:

PS: It was a pleasure to be a part of this pen, as i wouldnt have made the front page without you Doc!!:redface::rolleyes::biggrin:

Brooks803

Excellent 1st try Doc! I know exactly what you mean with the front section, those really are a pain. Keep it up and I look forward to the finished piece!

Simplex

Great! I like the incorporation of the "off-the-shelf" front section. This is just a matter of preference, but I think it gives it a more professional and sleek look. Where did you get it at? I know I have seen them for sale, I just can't remember where.

mrburls

So does this mean we only get to see a AM pen every other day now :frown:

Threads look very nice and clean. You do a fine job on your first kitless pen Doc

Keith "mrburls"

wizard

Thank You! ...and I finished the pen!

Thank you all for the kind comments and encouragement. I really appreciate it!

I finished the pen !!! :) and added to this post rather than start a new one.
Doc:)

Attachments

• Burgundy Section.jpg
    Burgundy Section.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Burgundy Section_1.jpg
    Burgundy Section_1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
There you go Doc. It looks like you've been doing this forever. That Justin guy is a darn good teacher. :biggrin: I really like the pen and great choice of material. Again, congratulations!:good:

wizard

Thank You Justin !!

That section looks great Doc!! Good job!!

Justin,
There isn't a chance in the world that I could have accomplished this without your teaching, patience and guidance. Knowledge is the most sacred of gifts and I cannot express enough how much I appreciate it!!
Thank you!!
Doc:)

Rounder

Not a thing wrong with that Doc. Really looks great with the matching section. And it makes me very proud that my son was able to teach and guide you in the way to do this. I hope to be able to do half as good as him once I acquire all the dies and tools I need to do this. You keep this up and you and Justin will be taking turns on the FRONT PAGE!!!:biggrin:

Top Bottom