My Cane enAble

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TurnedAround

TurnedAround

It enables me to not fall over. :rolleyes:

My doctor screamed at me when I fell two weeks ago because I'm supposed to be using a cane. I refuse to use one of those geriatric/telescoping things or a sheep herding looking thing so I made this. It's spalted Maple and Wenge. Turned the shaft and carved the handle. A brass tip with a replaceable rubber tip, from Lee Valley should be here any moment from FedEx. Been contemplating inlaying something on the shaft. This my first turning project besides pens and a few spindle repairs. I thought it would give me a heart attack. What could I turn for that? :confused:

Attachments

• Cane02.jpg
    Cane02.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 181
  • Cane01.jpg
    Cane01.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 223
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Nice piece of work. If you gotta use a cane, it might as well be a classy one like that!:good::good:

Hosspen

That is a cool cane!
I don't know what you "wood turn" for a heart attack but you could use some
purpleheart or redheart wood for it. : ) Hopefully we'll never have to worry about that though. Keep up the good work!

mickr

a first?? absolutely marvelous...I love making canes...nice to see here, as rarely see any...thanks for sharing

nava1uni

Beautiful cane. You did a very nice job. As for using a cane. At least you can still walk. You could use walking sticks. They are easier then a cane and you can use one or two. As I tell my patients - using a cane is better then a broken hip or being wheel chair bound. Hopefully you will use your beautiful cane.

TurnedAround

Beautiful cane. You did a very nice job. As for using a cane. At least you can still walk. You could use walking sticks. They are easier then a cane and you can use one or two. As I tell my patients - using a cane is better then a broken hip or being wheel chair bound. Hopefully you will use your beautiful cane.

Thank you, Cindy (thanks to everyone) for your kind comments. You all treat you turning neophytes (OK, Newbie Rookies) well. Cindy, what is a walking stick? Is that the things that strap to your forearms?

Ed

Rifleman1776

Very fine. I agree, a cane should be personal.
I have made a couple for myself, when the day comes. But, they are more utilitarian. Both have heavy brass heads and stout hickory sticks. The heaviest I call my 'New Orleans' walking stick. Will make a heck of a weapon.

Very nice cane, I love the combination and would be interested in how you attached the handle. The photo below was one I was commissioned to carve, I used a natural stick for the staff. I have another I am going to turn, waiting for the walnut to arrive. I will use a more traditional handle for this one. May I use your designe as inspiration?

See the link below to view some more exquisite sticks and canes. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StickCarvingWorldWide/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=8

Attachments

• cane 001.JPG
    cane 001.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 107
  • cane 011.JPG
    cane 011.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 110
  • cane 012.JPG
    cane 012.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 92

TurnedAround

Very nice cane, I love the combination and would be interested in how you attached the handle. The photo below was one I was commissioned to carve, I used a natural stick for the staff. I have another I am going to turn, waiting for the walnut to arrive. I will use a more traditional handle for this one. May I use your designe as inspiration?

See the link below to view some more exquisite sticks and canes. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StickCarvingWorldWide/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=8

Only WISH I could do something like that!

The handle is connected with a 1/2" hardwood dowel and epoxy. I used a pneumatic grinder with a sanding cylinder to blend it in.

Ed

Top Bottom