My Amboyna Burl Lotus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Texatdurango

Today I made a Lotus from some Amboyna burl I recently acquired. Amboyna has long been my favorite material for making pens and after making several hundred pens over the past few years I honestly believe this is the nicest pen I have made to date! This one will sell with a gold nib for sure! OR... since they are discontinued, it may just remain home with me on display!

The blank had tiny eyes on all four sides, something I have never seen before and I couldn't decide which was the best "picture side" so I took several shots of the different sides since no one side is better than the other.

Edit: The white dots on the cap are from my camera not the pen, I need a new camera!

lotus2-closed.jpg

lotus2-open1.jpg

lotus2-open2.jpg

fernhills

The only higher end pen i have not tried yet. It sure is an eye catcher. Amboyna Burl is my favorite wood. The blank is fantastic, not too many like that out there. Carl

rlofton

Awesome pen, George. BTW, B&H Camera has the Hasselblad HDDII-39MS SLR Digital Camera kit with an 80mm lens for only $31k. You may be able to find it a little cheaper than that.

Texatdurango

Awesome pen, George. BTW, B&H Camera has the Hasselblad HDDII-39MS SLR Digital Camera kit with an 80mm lens for only $31k. You may be able to find it a little cheaper than that.

Thanks but I'm leaning more towards the Hasselblad H2F with 80mm f/2.8 Lens since most of my shooting will be indoors.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
That is a really beautiful looking pen. Superb in every way. Please tell me you are going to keep it!!!!

dustmaker

George, words escape me, just a beautiful work of art. I personally would have a hard time selling this pen unless the price was "right" and I retained visiting rights, lol. I have an amboyna burl blank that I have been waiting to try, still climbing the learning curve, but I think I may be ready soon. Your pen is an inspiration, thanks for posting that!

Roy_Quast

George....
I don't think that it is your camara at all. I think that it is just showing off how good your finish is. To me it looks like a reflection from the pen laying in front of the cap.
Roy

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
EXCELLENT work, George.

When that pen is open, it appears to have more material (shows off the burl better). If you take it to a show, display it open (IMO)!!

workinforwood

That's a beautiful pen George. I can't hardly see any white dots. The camera is producing far better pics than mine. Send it to me when you get your new one. If someone says there's some white dots on my pens I'll say it's because I had the photo's taken in Columbia!

Texatdurango

George....
I don't think that it is your camara at all. I think that it is just showing off how good your finish is. To me it looks like a reflection from the pen laying in front of the cap.
Roy

Roy, THANKS a million for catching that! I was under the impression that I had a spec of dust inside my lens because when I blow the photo up, it appears to be a solid white space and it happens in almost all of my pen photos. I have been shopping around for a new camera just because of this.

You are 100% correct, it is the reflection of the pen in front, here is the sample I just took with and without the pen in front and low and behold... no white dot! You made my day! :) You're also correct about my finish :biggrin:... but that's because I use the secret buffing wheels and correct compounds! :eek:

Attachments

• flashproblem.jpg
    flashproblem.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 128
Top Bottom