My 2008 Christmas gifts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gketell

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
It has been a while since I had anything to post. Here are a few things I made for Christmas gifts this year.

First, a few ornaments.

Redwood with Pau Fero finials with Satin Lacquer finish. 2-1/8" x 4". This was actually the first redwood ornament I made and the finish gave me a royal pain in the _____. I started out with gloss but the redwood kept soaking up the finish and leaving dull spots so I sprayed Satin over it. Sadly that caused the finish to cloud up. Sand it all down and respray it and it clouded up again. 3rd time the charm? Nope, clouded again. You can just see it in the seams between the finials and there are two big spots on the lower finial in back. Grrrr.
_MG_5872.jpg

My second Redwood and Pau Fero ornament this time with Satin Lacquer. 2-1/4" x 5-3/4".
_MG_5868.jpg

Zebrawood with African Blackwood finials with Satin Lacquer finish. My son was waiting to take it to his teacher for her Christmas/Thank You gift and I rushed a bit so no measurements and a truly bad picture. Sorry.
_MG_5870.jpg

Then a few (and my first) bottle stoppers:

Pau Fero with gloss Lacquer finish.
_MG_5875.jpg

_MG_5879.jpg

Camatillo with nothing but wax finish. I love the way this wood smells when you turn it.
_MG_5882.jpg
_MG_5883.jpg

Amboyna Burl with CA finish.
_MG_5884.jpg
_MG_5886.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
That is the one I like the best too. SWMBO thought there needed to be more of a "grip" at the bottom which is why the first one in the list (the second one I made of that style) looks the way it does. I think I will go back to my original design, though.

GK

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Well, it looks like someone else's cuz I got the idea here. Sadly I don't remember who to thank. But I bet we see a bunch like it in the future. :-D

GK

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Dustin, that is all I used. A Beal Collet chuck, a cut off bolt that matches the thread of the bottle stopper (preferably one with a smooth shank) and a piece of wood as a spacer to keep the bottle stopper off the chuck. Turn the end of the wood to the diameter of the base of your bottle stopper as your "bushing" and go for it. Easiest things I have ever turned.

GK

Top Bottom