MT2 Question!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I DON'T think that the HF one is quite as accurate as the Wood River one.

The only reason I say this is because the HF one doesn't actually FIT the Delta 46-460 or the Jet 1014 VSI. BUT, the HF model is regularly $14 and can usually actually be bought for $8 or $9.

You can cut off the rear of the MT2 on the HF chuck and it works ok.. JUST REMEMBER TO HOLD THE HF CHUCK WITH YOUR FREE HAND WHEN DRILLING!

PenMan1

Joe:
I have both of the Chucks that you mention. With Delta, the HF chuck is quite frustrating because of the fit issue. The chuck sticks out of the tailstock about an inch farther than it should, which allows the bit and chuck to "free spin" much too easily.

Literally, with the coupon, you can buy the HF chuck for $9. Then just cut the black back end of the taper off with a hack saw.

For tonight, I'd probabally buy the HF one, THEN later buy the same as Woodcraft chuck for about $25 from PSI, AS, WoodTurninz etc.

soligen

i've used nothing but the HF one with the Delta. You loose some of the travel in the tailstock. I haven't bothered to cut the end off the taper as ANdy says, but have thought about it.

GEt the HF cheap to get over the hump, then you can shop for something better if you like.

Personally, I want to get a keyless model - I'm always mis-placing the key, then I will leave my die holder permenently in the HF chuck.

Jim Burr

Banned
I popped for the CSUSA 1/2" MT2. Just wanted something accurate and well made. HF does have their limitations on some of these issues from time to time.

knowltoh

I use the one from Harbor Freight. Paid $9. Bought 4 and use one for 7mm, 10mm, 27/64, and 3/8 bits. Plan to get a couple more when on sale.

Xander

I have the HF chuck. It does fit my HF lathe, however the taper is LONG and thus reduces the tailstock travel (have to wind the quill out to get the chuck to seat in the taper). It can be cut but I'm lazy. The only other thing.... the taper actually comes out of the chuck. Yes, it's a taper on both ends. After having the chuck come loose on the taper I finally put a few drops of CA on it and glued it on.

Top Bottom