MT1 to MT2 converter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Anyone have the converter that will let me use MT1 tools on an MT2 lathe that they'd like to sell. I can buy one new but thought I'd try here first.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

It's called a sleeve. Unfortunately, I'm rather attached to mine.

Both Little Machine Shop and Grizzley have them at reasonable prices, but the shipping makes a standalone purchase unattractive.

monophoto

"use MT1 tools on an MT2 lathe" - I take that to mean that he has an MT1 mandrel that he needs to install in a lathe spindle with an MT2 taper, and that requires a sleeve that has an MT2 outside taper and an MT1 inside taper.

I just bought one a couple of months ago from Little Machine Shop when I upgraded from an MT1 lathe to an MT2 machine, but wanted to avoid replacing a bunch of accessories.

I don't recall seeing an adapter that went the other way, ie, that would allow MT2 accessories to be used on an MT1 lathe.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
"use MT1 tools on an MT2 lathe" - I take that to mean that he has an MT1 mandrel that he needs to install in a lathe spindle with an MT2 taper, and that requires a sleeve that has an MT2 outside taper and an MT1 inside taper.

I just bought one a couple of months ago from Little Machine Shop when I upgraded from an MT1 lathe to an MT2 machine, but wanted to avoid replacing a bunch of accessories.

I don't recall seeing an adapter that went the other way, ie, that would allow MT2 accessories to be used on an MT1 lathe.
I think there is such a thing but it is too long to use on a mini lathe, you wouldn't have enough room left for turning. Here's what it looks like.

083007.jpg

Last edited:

Magicbob

I tried to get into the shop to check, but the garage door is frozen down. -8 out there go figure.
I'll let you know as soon as I can

Top Bottom