Mr. Anonymous Game #8 @ 16/10/2014

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

I was wondering, from where all those letters you guys have been giving, have come from, the common ones are, ST (straight cut), X (cross cut), Z (diagonal cut), B (burl), SPT (spalted), C (curly), and sometimes BRL (burled) but, after I saw Kelly's link to the mother thread of this wood, it all made sense...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Uh ... from your timbers list!

33- Tortuosa/CorkScrew Willow (AKA BT)– X & Z, B(blue), N(new cut), O(old cut), BL(burl)

robutacion

I was wondering, from where all those letters you guys have been giving, have come from, the common ones are, ST (straight cut), X (cross cut), Z (diagonal cut), B (burl), SPT (spalted), C (curly), and sometimes BRL (burled) but, after I saw Kelly's link to the mother thread of this wood, it all made sense...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Uh ... from your timbers list!

33- Tortuosa/CorkScrew Willow (AKA BT)– X & Z, B(blue), N(new cut), O(old cut), BL(burl)

Yes, my timber list shows the most common letters but, many of the ones you guys are mentioning are not in it, not in that succession, anyway...!

And yes, you are correct, the B can also signify 'blue" such as my Olive and root blue wood and the N as new wood and O as old wood but, your guess is incorrect...!

Looking at the first pic of this game, would you call it a "burl" blank....???

So, what are the options...???

Cheers
George

Krash

Yep, I would call that what you refer to as BRL since it has burl and non-burl.
So, the options to go with BRL are blank (straight) or Z (diagonal).

So my non-guess is

Z BRL 33

robutacion

Hahahahah, this is fun...!

I gave given the answer already, (pretty much...!)...!:wink::biggrin:

OK so, the consensus is that the wood is the #33 (Tortuosa Willow) right...???, I agreed with that so the correct answer is #33 _ _ - _ _ _ ...?:eek:

Cheers
George

robutacion

And the winner is...???

33 ST-BRL

FINALLY...! guys and gals, finally....!:biggrin:

Lets recap the whole thing, put worlds into "letters'', see what they mean and match with what it was shown it the pic...!

One of the clues to what the wood was, was in the way the dying works on this wood, half to 1/3 of the wood, doesn't take dyes, the wood has different wood cells structures that makes it a multi grained wood, like layers or veins running through the wood that, apart of density differences, some parts seem to be layer of protection that doesn't allow the soaking of any liquids, reason for the area with the natural wood, next to areas that took the dye quite well...!

Looking at the blank, it is mostly straight grain wood, at one end if has a small amount of open burled wood, which require filling, this open burled spots are typical of wood that is behind the burls that grow, halfway inside the tree trunk with the other half exposed, at low level outside the tree...!

Even though the small log was mostly straight grained wood, grain around these burled spots can take all sorts of direction, being diagonal grains, very common but only very close to these burled spots...!

I had already explained about the difference between a burl and burled wood so, the blank is from the Tortuosa Willow species (#33), straight cut/with the grain (ST) with burled spots (BRL) == #33 ST - BRL, being stabilized and dye, was not part of the question...!

I just can't believe, how confused you all become with the "abbreviations", I would easily accept someone to ignore the abbreviation and number and simple say, "its Tortuosa Willow tree cut with the grain and with some burled wood/spots, that would means exactly the same #33 ST - BRL, you may understand/see why I like to identify my woods with simple numbers al letters, I can write this "code" on any pen and take little space, writing the whole thing, you would be able to see the wood on the blank...!

So congratulations Cmiles1985 you got yourself some more blanks from me...! As advised, you will get a pack of these freshly made blanks but that is not all, there are another 4 surprise blanks that will be part of the 500gr package therefore, the shipping cost will be AU$14.00 paid to nyodine@yahoo.com.au...! Well, you already know well the "drift", huh...???

Some of you guys, were so close but, just not totally right, while I couldn't give any more hints without actually answering the question myself so, I'm sorry if I have confused you, was not intentional (well... not totally...!:wink:)

Thank you, for everyone's participation. Will be another game soon, we will see what happens, then...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

Hey I was closer than I was the last time.. I guess I am learning. :) and having fun doing the learning.. what more could I ask for? :)

Yes Mitch, you are getting pretty good at this...!

Your last 2 guesses were half right and I thought you would come up with the right answer but, you kept calling in a burl (B) and that put if off, immediately but, you are starting to work out what the abbreviations represent and if you take good attention to the constant hints I give and then the final explanations when the correct answer is found, you very quickly will start to understand what to look for in the woods to be in a better position to give guesses that are in fact good ones and that could justify you thinking, what I mean is, if the wood is brown, no point in giving names of wood that are red, white or black, you would then focus of woods that can resemble what I'm showing and in time, you will have a good repertoire of wood species that you can recognise anywhere at anytime, one by one, is how you reach the volume/quantity...! :wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Trey

Argh! I thought I had it with my guess in post #23! Since your timbers list has B for Blue and BL for burl. Ah well. Congrats CMILES! George, you're just gonna have to sell me some of them beautiful resin-fills soon I guess. I just can't wait to throw one on the lathe and see what comes out!

robutacion

Argh! I thought I had it with my guess in post #23! Since your timbers list has B for Blue and BL for burl. Ah well. Congrats CMILES! George, you're just gonna have to sell me some of them beautiful resin-fills soon I guess. I just can't wait to throw one on the lathe and see what comes out!

Well, your post #23 said " 33 B BL", it seems that you doubled up pn the burl, huh...??:biggrin:

Are you talking about the same Resifills as the ones on this game...???

If so, what I have left of them, are on my main bench on the lolly-shop, for me to make into packs of 4 and take some pics and list them on my new web-store.

They are not that many, maybe 30 odd but, I will be making more of these some other time, I still have a fair stock of this timber...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom