Mr. Anonymous Game #20 @ 16/03/2015

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

And the winner is....???

Due to high demand, I will announce the winner now...!

The correct answer was indeed, Camphor Laurel, in this case QLD Camphor Laurel so, congrats Edgar (edohmann), you done it again...!:wink::biggrin:

I had mentioned that, the QLD Camphor Laurel wood is quite different to the local Camphor Laurel and to exemplify/validate this claim, look at the pic bellow,

002.JPG

Quite a difference, huh..??? however, the smell is as strong on one or the other...!:)

Now, if your name is in the list bellow, that means that, you also guessed the wood species correctly but, after Edgar so, that will give you the opportunity/chance to claim an extra 4 blanks, if you are awarded first in the next game, capish...?:wink:

I'm not saying that, I will not award again second places, I can do that any time however, this is another way to make your effort from the game before, to account for something.

The 12 blanks prize will continue to be my preference, as the major prize, if its happens that one of the members listed here, gets the first prize on the next game (only), he/she will be required to pay shipping for 12+4-16 blanks (AU$21.00) 1kg. parcel.

Lets wrap up this one, it was fun, as always...!

Thank you to all participants, most appreciated...!

Lets get ready for the next one, which will be, @f#u&n

*- fitty
*- Skeleton2014
*- Argo13
*- Karl_99
*- 1080Wayne

Cheers
George

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks George - payment has been sent.

And thanks again to Mr. Anonymous for making these games possible. As always, this has been great fun.

I have never turned any camphor laurel but it's been on my list of things I want to try. I'm really looking forward to giving some of these awesome blanks a whirl.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
For those who are not familiar with the story of the "suitcase wood" that George received from his friend in Queensland, here's a link to that thread from a couple of years ago:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/not-all-truffles-truffles-105796/

I remembered this story quite well and I remembered that George traded olive root and other things for some PNG Rosewood at the time. However the PNG Rosewood is not included in George's Timbers List even though he has it available on his web site.

So I went back to the story, studied it some more , and I saw that he also got some cedar from the QLD visitor, so I thought that must be it - but no.

More searching in threads and posts around the time of that visit, but still no other clues about any other woods that might have been in that suitcase.

Then George dropped some big hints in Posts #19 and #23. Especially after post #23, I thought that it must be camphor laurel.

Still I wasn't absolutely sure and threw out a few more guesses, but at the same time, I tried to find some confirmation that it was camphor laurel.

I finally found this post by George a little over a year before his friend from QLD came to visit.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f65/selling-camphor-maple-85363/#post1275016

Once I found that post, I was quite certain that camphor laurel was the correct answer. As best I can tell, George never mentioned anywhere that his friend brought some of it along, but I can imagine that George must have inquired about it when the two of them were planning the visit. I can also, in my mind's eye, see George eagerly tearing into that piece of camphor laurel to see what it looked like since he had been looking for a nice specimen for so long. I can only imagine how difficult it was for George to keep silent about it for these past 2 years, just waiting for a chance to spring it on us. :)

Any lingering doubts were removed when George mentioned the moth repellant characteristics in post #52. Mothball odor is very similar to the aroma of camphor.

Once again, great fun and another opportunity to learn more about some of the interesting trees on the other side of the world.

Thanks
Edgar

Krash

===>>> PNG Rosewood wood and Burl <<< ===

Oh .... I just got here and tooka shot before I realized that edgar had already gloated, won, paid for the prize. I've been a little busy ....

Congrats Edgar!

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

Oh .... I just got here and tooka shot before I realized that edgar had already gloated, won, paid for the prize. I've been a little busy ....

Congrats Edgar!

Lucky for me that you missed out on this one :biggrin:

Glad to see you back pal - I was starting to get a little concerned that you hadn't been able to check in to IAP for so long.

robutacion

Congrats Edgar!

Oh Kelly, my friend, you are lost, mate...!:)

Where have you been all this time...??? did your ears got hot recently...??? I spoke of your name on this game, and quite rightly, so...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Krash

Oh Kelly, my friend, you are lost, mate...!:)

Where have you been all this time...??? did your ears got hot recently...??? I spoke of your name on this game, and quite rightly, so...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Hot ears. Who told you my wife's nickname for me? :embarrassed:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Look what arrived in the mail today!

Fourteen gorgeous Camphor blanks from George. Four from George's friend in Queensland and 10 from trees in George's local area including two from a very young tree.

It will be interesting to see how these turn & finish compared to wood from the Texas tree.

Amazing - two weeks ago I had never even seen any Camphor wood & now I have 14 wonderful blanks from Australia and a huge pile of Texas wood.

Thanks again George & Mr. Anonymous!

Edgar

Attachments

• CamphorBlanksFromGeorge.jpg
    CamphorBlanksFromGeorge.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 158

robutacion

Fourteen gorgeous Camphor blanks from George. Four from George's friend in Queensland and 10 from trees in George's local area including two from a very young tree.

It will be interesting to see how these turn & finish compared to wood from the Texas tree.

Amazing - two weeks ago I had never even seen any Camphor wood & now I have 14 wonderful blanks from Australia and a huge pile of Texas wood.

Edgar

Thanks for, letting me know of the parcel arrival, that was very fast, indeed...!

What surprises me the most is the fact that, until recently, you have never have had any Camphor Laurel tree wood to work with, and the very moment that you win some blanks and they are in transit to you, you get a full tree all for yourself, that is being lucky, twice...!

Good for you...!

PS: Take particular attention to the smells from each of the blanks types...!

Cheers
George

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

Edgar

Thanks for, letting me know of the parcel arrival, that was very fast, indeed...!

What surprises me the most is the fact that, until recently, you have never have had any Camphor Laurel tree wood to work with, and the very moment that you win some blanks and they are in transit to you, you get a full tree all for yourself, that is being lucky, twice...!

Good for you...!

Cheers
George

You are right George, that was unbelievable luck. Then on top of it, the people who owned that tree have been amazing. I got a message from them after Shawn's friend picked up those last 4 big logs today. They are just thrilled that this nice tree they have enjoyed for the past 40 years will get new life.

The first thing I did when I opened your package was to sniff each set of blanks. :)

I can definitely tell a difference between each of them and also this Texas tree.

robutacion

Edgar

Good for you...!

Cheers
George

You are right George, that was unbelievable luck. Then on top of it, the people who owned that tree have been amazing. I got a message from them after Shawn's friend picked up those last 4 big logs today. They are just thrilled that this nice tree they have enjoyed for the past 40 years will get new life.

The first thing I did when I opened your package was to sniff each set of blanks. :)

I can definitely tell a difference between each of them and also this Texas tree.[/
QUOTE]

Humm..! you haven't seen nothing yet, wait until you start turning them...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

Any indication, as to what they want to do with the trunk/stump???

Cheers
George

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
They want to leave the remaining trunk for now. It actually kinda looks like a monument in their back yard.

They did promise to let me know if they decide to take the rest of it down. I will stay in touch with them about that, but I don't want to get pushy about it.

Top Bottom