More Polyester...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

YoYoSpin

Here’s a boat-load of Polyester Resin blanks that got cast over the last two days. I’m finding that to get swirls and color variations in the final product, what works best for me is to thoroughly mix the hardener with and base compound first, then the powder pigment, and finally, the colorant...but don't mix the color in too much. Just swirl it around till it’s evenly distributed.
MyResin12a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

YoYoSpin

I'm using both the concentrated liquid dyes and the powders for color. From what I’ve seen so far, the powders work just as well as the liquids and can be a little cheaper in the long run. BTW, the "Duochrome" Luster Pigment powders offered by D&S are spectacular.

If you're interested in buying some Poly blanks, send me an email...

WoodChucker

Looks like you've been very busy, when can we expect to see the 65 pens? [:D] Nice job, I plan on doing it myself one day, it's nice to know I have you and Anthony to teach me everything I need to know, right? [:D]

53Jim

Nice job Ed,

I have one suggestion, though. I also put a rubber band around the poly that I cast, but i found that no matter how long I let the poly sit if I wrapped it together (edge to edge) they would stick together. Now I wrap the band around one blank first, than around the other, so there is a bit of cushion between the pieces.

If I'm full of hot air, I apologize. This is what works for me[^]

Linster

There was a link to "misterart" for purchasing the plastic mold for sasting but I couldn't find them on the site. Can anyone point to a more direct link or the manufacturer or something that will help me locate the molds.

Thanks in advance.
Linster

woodguy1975

Nice Casting Ed. I look forward to seeing some final pens from it. My stuff from D&S should arrive this week.

BTW, the smaller molds from misterart is sold out. I ordered mine from another place that had them in stock. The link was given on this website, but I can't find it at this moment.

John

YoYoSpin

Here's the alternative source: http://delviesplastics.com/molds.htm. You'll have to call them to place an order...no on-line ordering capability.

Recently, I've been using the "MC-2" mold. Delvies is the only place I’ve found that carries this size...it's perfect to yield one pair of 3/4" x 3/4" x 2-1/2" after shrinkage blanks, with no waist. BTW, the MC-2 dimensions noted on this site are a little off...the molds actually measure 2-1/16" x 2-5/8" x 1-1/8" deep.

RLKnecht

I went to the site to order 3 of the 3x6 molds and they kicked my order out since only 1 was in stock. Guess I'll need to wait till they get more in (completly out of the smaller 2x3 also). Not really a problem since I don't have the Poly resin yet either (the price of that at artstuff.com went up to $35.65/gal although the priice on the web page still shows $28 and the price when you add it to your cart shows $33 (they said due to the high price of gas).
Rick

woodguy1975

That is where I ordered from Ed. Sorry, I couldn't remember. I ordered a number of the MC-2 molds. They are great people to deal with too. Very friendly and helpful.

Good Luck,

John

YoYoSpin

I just noticed that Delvies Plastics carries a 4 gallon case of the poly resign for $132...that comes to $33.00 a gallon, with the hardener. Just ordered two cases and a bunch of new molds. Also, discovered that Delvies carries a lot of different shaped molds, like light switch and plug cover plates...got some of those too. Picked up some of those 1.25" cabochon molds as well, for bottle stopper embellishments.

rtgleck

Wow Ed, your really diving into this Poly stuff with both feet huh. 8 Gallons of the stuff and all those blanks already. SOunds like that's almost as addicting as making them pens themselves. [:p] Nice work on the blanks though. They all look really good. Almost have everything I need for me to give a shot at them. Except for time. Oh well.

rtgleck

Ed,

I just realized you live fairly close to me. (just on the other side of Denver) Maybe I'll have to come down and help you make a few of these blanks/or help you make your next batch [:D][}:)]

jenamison

Author Topic Page: 1 2 of 2
RLKnecht can you by chance give me the product code number for the pr clear casting resin on Artstuf.com website. I keep looking, but I must just not be in the right section. I can't find it. Thanks for the help.

--Mike

Linster

The first casting I did, I used EnviroTex Lite. Worked just fine. Found a link to a wholesaler but they don't list prices. Don't have time right now to check further into the prices but here's the link if anyone is interested in checking it out. http://www.creative-wholesale.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom