embarrassing admission

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

I am almost to embarrassed to show this. Has anyone other than me ever had the loss of concentration to pull a stunt like this? Anyone who has will know what pen kit this is.
But, this is the kind of lesson that will assure that I never do it again.

2005510134051_baron.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
That is no problem Jim and a real easy fix... just unscrew the back section and with the rollerball nib in place put a wood dowel through the pen and give it a couple of smart wacks and the screw section will come right out and no one (but us) will ever know you screwed it up the first time... BEEN THEREl, DONE THAT, Got the Tshirt to prove it.. [:D]

jimr

I tried that but probably my smack was not smart enough. Then I was afraid I would ruing something. I will try it again, there is not really anything to lose. Thanks

emsmith

On my first one of those I put both of the rings on backwards and destroyed the couplers trying to take it apart because I didn't ask how to take it apart. I beleive it was Old Griz who told me as well how to take them apart when I finally asked.

wayneis

Jim I keep some of that rubber shelf linner in the shop for when I want to get a good grip on something just like this. Wrap a small piece around the blank, grab ahold and then give the dowell a couple dumb wacks. I've found that when I use the Griz's smart wacks I end up hitting my hand[}:)] Sorry Tom, I just couldn't resist.

Also I like using metal because it doesn't seem to obsorb the wacks like wooden dowells. I have different bolts in the shop and just choose the one that just fits inside the tube and then beat on that, not your hand.

Wayne

woodscavenger

Been there and done that!! This pen below started life with that exact same mistake. I did one better however. I thought that little step ring was supposed to slip inside of the brass tube and since it was not I was obviously not pushing hard enough!! So I pushed harder. CRUNCH. I crushed 1/2 of the thread and broke a small section off of the top of the threads. I was disgusted. I tapped it out with a punch and cussed a few times. I got looking around, pulled out my scroll chuck and a chunk of the cocobolo and made my fist custom end cap. To this day I think it is the prettiest pen I have done.

DSC01851.jpg

Daniel

I just put my first one of these togehter, Without instructions. and am very happy I figured out the ring thing. It is also cocobolo, only it is the jr. statesman. and I managed to steel Bens Opal idea very well thank you. hope to get a pic tomorrow.

atvrules1

Jim, after you get it put back together, show us the whole pen. The part you did show sure looked like the wood is beautiful, and your finish is great. We'd like to see the rest of it.

swm6500

Yes, did that on my first one, I did like Shane and ruined a coupler though. It is pretty aggravating when you do things like that, but you usually only do that once.

mick

Why were you taking pictures of my second or third baron? I don't remember exactly which I did the same thing too. Bad thing was ...just the other day I almost did the same blame thing!

Rifleman1776

jimr, you asked, "Has anyone other than me ever had the loss of concentration to pull a stunt like this?"
Answer, No. You're the first ever. [:I] [;)]
Truthfully, been there and done that, very first Baron. Tips already posted will save that pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom