More miniatures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from David Keller

David Keller

I really enjoy turning these small scale hollow forms. From your left to right we have cottonwood with pyrography and jarrah burl collar, birdseye elm with African blackwood, and claro walnut with African blackwood.

There ruler is there for scale. These were all hollowed with modified allen wrenches.

Comments, criticism, and suggestions always appreciated.
more-mini-HFs-2.jpg more-mini-HFs.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

david, I'm curious about something. Now, I'm no one to criticize, your turnings always look fantastic, but the turning on the far left does not look complete. And, the lines are shaky. I myself have never done that style of turning so I really dont understand the level of difficulty it may bring. Maybe its the look you were after. I mean, otherwise, your work is beautiful!

David Keller

Rally cool David but I do have one sugestion.

Show the Allen wrenches please......:biggrin:

Thanks, Lupe. I'll try to remember to take some shots next time I drag the camera out to the shop. I basically just lay them on the platform of my wolverine system and grind the short end like a scraper... Instant hooked scraper.

I've got one that I cut the bent portion off of that I use as a straight tool.

david, I'm curious about something. Now, I'm no one to criticize, your turnings always look fantastic, but the turning on the far left does not look complete. And, the lines are shaky. I myself have never done that style of turning so I really dont understand the level of difficulty it may bring. Maybe its the look you were after. I mean, otherwise, your work is beautiful!

I agree with you completely. I just got a decent pyrography set up, and making clean, crisp lines is really difficult for me. I'm going to have to practice a lot more before I'm happy with the final product.

Edward Cypher

David very neat. Front Range Woodturning Guild had a demo on turning small hollow forms about 2 maybe 3 months ago. He also used allen wrenches, he also used those cheap HF pick tools, the ones with the orange or green handles. They are like 5 bucks regular price and 2.99 when they are on sale for a set of 4 or 5 depending on handle color. If you are interested I think there are pictures in the newsletter archive and the following meeting the group is challenged to make thier own minitures. Here is the address. http://www.frontrangewoodturners.org/

Oh yea real nice job!!!!

Edward Cypher

Awesome. Front Range Woodturners Guild just had a demo in february about minitures. He used allen wrenches and also the picks from HF with the orange or green handles. They are only 5 bucks for 4 or 5 and 2.99 when on sale. Here is the newsletter location you can scroll all the way down to page 5 and see parts of the demo and then farther down is all the people who did mins for the march show and tell. http://www.frontrangewoodturners.org/newsletters/frw2011_03.pdf

robutacion

Gezzzz mate, how much smaller are you going to go with them...???:eek::wink:

Great stuff David, I get always caught by the illusion of their size until you introduce that damn rule...!:frown:

On the other hand, it shows how small they are are how delicate it is to make them. I could use that finial as a tooth pic, for sure...!:eek::biggrin:

Another advantage is obviously the small amount/volume/size of wood/blank one need to make those miniature pieces, making wood costs a lot more efficient than the big stuff. Time wise, I don't think that is much of a saving there, which is a bonus for those having wood-turning as a hobby, pass-time or time away from the "devils", sort of speak...!:wink:

I will stick with my bigger stuff, thanks...!:eek::biggrin:

Cheers
George

vallealbert

I really love the three miniatures...but my favorite is the turning on the far left ...it seems to me like tribal art...hand made designs (I do not understand why hand made stuff should be "perfect")...you may consider to have more practice in such designs, but the piece for me it is really worthy ... keep up your good work..

Top Bottom