MOP over thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I usually try to have an indoor winter project for when its just too cold to be in the shop. After seeing some of the posts on thread wrapping, I thought I would give it a try. I'm far from doing the patterns but I thought single wraps might be another way to have a background for tube on casting objects. Here are a couple of my attempts of mother of pearl over thread which I had some hope to enter into one of the contests, but they just didn't make the grade. We'll have a real wrapper at our next Richmond penturners meeting and a demo at the MAPG if you want to learn more. In the meantime, here's a little inspiration...
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0601.JPG
    IMG_0601.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 406
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Thanks for showing. The possibilities are endless using threads such as that. Simple designs just by combining colors or even the direction of wrapping. The overlays can really enhance them too. Good start. Look forward to more of this work.

mediopolis

That has some great potential for sure. What did you coat the thread with to keep from bubbles forming? I was trying thread and used a few methods i found reading posts. Not much success with degassing and using smoothcast or alumilite.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
That has some great potential for sure. What did you coat the thread with to keep from bubbles forming? I was trying thread and used a few methods i found reading posts. Not much success with degassing and using smoothcast or alumilite.
I too am still working through the issues but am getting better with each attempt. Here are some thoughts.

...be sure to use rod wrapping thread. Some other threads have a silicone or wax coating which will definitely cause bubble trouble.

...be sure to use color preserver to seal threads. It does more than color preserve.

...I have made a bubble free cast with PR in a pressure pot but my best one is using the technique for fishing rods where they apply epoxy while slowly rotating the blank at about 15 rpms. I have set up a motor for this. I have tried West Systems as well as a sample of Prokote. I only had enough for one blank with the Prokote but that looks the best so far and more is on order. It takes a long time to cure and may require two coats but the good news is with this technique you only use very little material. Some also suggest an alcohol flame or lighter while the blank is spinning to release bubbles. Haven't tried that yet. Also I think it's possible to get these to the right size with no after turning.

Will try to post more as I learn.

mediopolis

Thanks! Any particular color sealer you like to use? I have been doing tests with the thread and abalone veneer. the veneer when cutting into strips creates bubbles in the seams, so I have been trying various methods to eliminate it.

jttheclockman

What we need here is our master thread blank maker. Ted Sachs

Have not seen or heard from him lately. Hope things are well. He will have all those answers and then some. Example of his work.

profilepic28565_4.gif

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks! Any particular color sealer you like to use? I have been doing tests with the thread and abalone veneer. the veneer when cutting into strips creates bubbles in the seams, so I have been trying various methods to eliminate it.
Here's what I have been using. From Mudhole.

Also my latest using Prokote:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• color.JPG
    color.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0617.JPG
    IMG_0617.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

mediopolis

Thanks. For the Prokote, are you just slowly building it up layer over layer? Or casting like a normal pen blank after sealing with color lock, and turning down on the lathe?

Curly

Heat gun works to break the surface tension and release the bubbles on flat surfaces, so it should work without the need for flames, torches and pitchforks et cetera.

The thread wrapping looks good and has lots of potential.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks. For the Prokote, are you just slowly building it up layer over layer? Or casting like a normal pen blank after sealing with color lock, and turning down on the lathe?
So far, just building up. Think I can do with 2 layers which is what I would like. Tried the same with west systems but did turn after. I'm still in the experimental phase and haven't yet decided on my final process. Now waiting on more resin. Will post if I come up with a good process.

I did one casting like normal pen blank with PR but not with Prokote yet. Failed for other reasons.

Top Bottom