Mold Making Material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dana Fish

While walking through my local craft store today I came across this stuff for making rubberized molds. Here is the link...

http://www.artistcraftsman.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_216&products_id=8434

castingRubbers.jpg

Do you think it will work for making pen molds?

Dana

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Dana, I found an Instructable on making molds. they used acetic acid cure silicon caulk and added a small amount of corn starch to cause it to set up quicker. It must be the older type vinegar smelling silicon to work. The newer silicon II does not work, so I am told. The more corn starch used, the quicker the mold sets, up to about a 1 to 1 mix. I tried 1 to 1 and it sets too fast to get a good clean mold for me. If you have any melamine surfaced board such as shelving or masonite, you can use that and tape / clamp a rectangle mold together after waxing the inside. They both will work for awhile. Once you are sure you want to do casting, then there are several members here that sell wonderful molds. Hope this helps some.
Charles

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
FWIW It should work, but it might BE some work.
Pliatex is a tough latex rubber (some latex isn't vulcanized, this is) so it should
hold up. But latex (usually) has to go on in thin coats and cure. It might take
20-30 thin coats to build up a 1/8" thick mold wall.
Latex holds detail very well, but isn't usually used for the types of molds we
make because of the time it takes.
But .. this is old info. I haven't used latex in years.

Top Bottom