Moisture meter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jxdubbs

Hi I ordered a General Tools MMD4E Moisture Meter, Pin Type, Digital LCD. I just realized it only goes down to 5% will that be a problem with alumilite, cactus juice, and when stabilizing the wood. Should I return it($5.99 change on amazon) and get a diffrent one. ThT does better like 0% or 1%. Or am I just being nitpicky?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1080Wayne

Probably not with Alumilite , if the meter is accurate . Getting an accurate reading with one is not the easiest thing to do . If the moisture is too high (>5-6 % ?) some whiteness of the resin next to the wood may occur .

Vacuum on cactus juice will continue to bubble until all of the moisture is gone . That said , most pieces will still stabilize to a reasonable degree with a bit of moisture remaining , in my experience .

Far better and more accurate than a pin type meter , is a small digital scale , accurate to 1 gm , with which to weigh the piece after short successive microwave exposures , until no change is seen . Be careful with your microwave though . You won`t want the smell of burnt wood in your next meal .

jxdubbs

Probably not with Alumilite , if the meter is accurate . Getting an accurate reading with one is not the easiest thing to do . If the moisture is too high (>5-6 % ?) some whiteness of the resin next to the wood may occur .

Vacuum on cactus juice will continue to bubble until all of the moisture is gone . That said , most pieces will still stabilize to a reasonable degree with a bit of moisture remaining , in my experience .

Far better and more accurate than a pin type meter , is a small digital scale , accurate to 1 gm , with which to weigh the piece after short successive microwave exposures , until no change is seen . Be careful with your microwave though . You won`t want the smell of burnt wood in your next meal .
I have a digi that goes down to the gram. I beleave it goes down to the tenth of a gram. And I also have a dedicated toaster oven and dehydrator for wood drying.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom