Modded pen press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
I just wanted to share with everyone my pen press modifications.

After using my drill press, and then a steampunk pen press, and feeling useless after destroying 10 Chinese slims, i decided to get a REAL pen press.

First, let me say that the difference was astounding. If anyone out there is considering getting a pen press, or if you are using your drillpress, or a steampunk press, and you are having problems, consider getting an actual pen press! The press i bought (woodcraft model) has worked absolutely like a dream! Except for one minor problem. The stay bolt is WAY too short, and this causes my fingers to get smashed regularly when i try to loosen it with the big goofy black plastic knob. SOOOOO...

I used a 4" lag bolt that is the same thread, and installed a closed end ratchet wrench on the bolt. Now, my fingers are plenty clear of the metal parts, and the wrench is MUCH easier to operate than the silly knob. I also taped some cardboard to the metal on the pressing surface.

I think the mods make it a much better tool. No marring the metal from metal to metal contact, and no smashed fingers! If anyone is interested, i could take a picture of it and post to show exactly what i am talking about. Anyway, Just thought i would share my solution to a minor pen press problem.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
lol... I knew when i wrote that post i should upload pics too... gimme a minute.

RAdams

Banned
well my batteries are dead in the camera. It will take a little while to charge them up. I will post a few pics shortly.

Did you really have a Steampunk pen press? that would really be something to see, and of course considering the craftsmanship and style of the era it would/should/probably could put together any pen and/or axle bearing assembly you ever wanted to make.

Can't wait for the photos.

RAdams

Banned
Axle bearing? I think we are on different pages. Steampunk is a term used to describe things that are normally made out of plastic, or metal, that are redone and made out of wood or other natural materials. Do a Google image search for: steampunk computer, or steampunk car, or just the word steampunk. cool stuff.

Anyway, i dont remember how to do the thumbnail thing, and i cant seem to get the picture link thing to work, so here ya go.

http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=10773

Er, no, Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction and fantasy literature. It popularises the Victorian period of the 19th century.

However there is a large Steampunk subculture as well. To take the modern, while retaining the fuctionality and rebuilding with the steam technology and artistic styling of the mid to late 19th century.

Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Doyles' Sherlock Holmes, and Buroughs are all difinitive and descriptive of the Steampunk genre

http://steampunkworkshop.com/
http://www.datamancer.net/steampunklaptop/steampunklaptop.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

I used to have a few more Steampunk sites but I lost all my settings with the last HD upgrade

RAdams

Banned
oh.. ok.. well i was wrong. I just stumbled onto some cool steampunk stuff on the net.

There's nothing wrong with stumbling onto it. There are many, many Steampunkian items that are both beautiful and functional.

Which is why I asked about your press, I thought that maybe you had made some sort of multi-geared shiney brass multi-knobbed pen press.

RAdams

Banned
i wish...

It was just a homemade pen press made out of Brazilian Cherry. I called it steampunk cause i saw a bunch of steampunk stuff made out of wood. I thought it was cool, but it didn't work nearly as good as the actual press.

nava1uni

I made a delrin cover for the metal side of this particular pen press. I use this press and really like it. I have made several different types of pieces out of Delrin that I use with this press for other projects.

Top Bottom