How come

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

artme

How come I can buy inexpensive single phase fans with speed control, ceiling fans with speed control and reverse, power deills with speed and torque control BUT cannot get an off the shelf 1hp motor at a reasonable price with the saqme features??????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Be careful. You may just cook your favourite machine:eek:
The speed of an AC motor is controlled by varying the frequency.
The speed of a DC motor is controlled by varying the voltage.

I dimmer / rheostat / variac etc only varies the volts. All it is, is a variable resistor. Modern machines with variable speed have electronics to do the hi-tech stuff. They are cheaper becuase they are made in the gazzillions and only have to be made suitable for the machine they are built into.

PenPal

Hi Arthur and Skippy

Arthur like the serene duck moving on the water surface apparent movement hides the real activity going on underneath. The same thing applies to electrical anythings horses for courses.
In India in 1985 I was out one night and was watching a sliding game on a slippery table in a poor area of then Bombay lit by a bare bulb hooked up horror of horrors to the overhead incoming wires. Not recommended but driven by circumstances. It always amazes me when someone buys a Router or Milling Machine and then use cheap rubbish cutters to save money, or in our case guys who buy pen ultimate lathes for zillions and cry at the relative cheap quality speed controls 240 volt in our case to 415 volt variable speed controllers that create two dummy phases and create speed control via the cycles variation electronically.
Arthur my feeling is having a limited budget, having both variable speed and normal lathes I even apply CA as a finish on the same flat out speed. Been there and done that even rode my motor bike no exhaust pipes a real blast but no lasting gain.
By the way when do you return from your sojourn in Sth America where my tale of bare bulbs is real as well?

hi skippy Regards to all. Peter.

artme

Returning May next year Peter. Will be having a cruise from Buenos Aries through the Straights of Magellan to Valparaiso in January. Have to make the most of the locality!:biggrin::biggrin:

To answer your question: Yes it does happen here. I1ve seen fellows shinny up a pole and hang two bare ended wires over the power lines so they can run their cane juice crushers. Not only that, they run the wires across the road and the traffic just drives over them.

That is becoming less common as authorities have cracked down on some of the less safe practices.

Top Bottom