Min Wage Jobs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

When I was going to college (full time not the 10 plus years after that part time); I generally had a min wage job. Which was either Hardees or Farm Fresh (grocery store). So it was all customer service. At Hardees I did about everything there, stocked the shelves, cleaned the lot, cooked, front end. If I was cleaning the bathroom I was always polite and in a good mood to the customers.

The thing that irritates me is when you go there or a gas station, and the person waiting on you does not say a single word. How often do you go through the drive through you don't get a "Your total is...." they just have their hands out for the money. I would be happy with a F you, at least then they acknowledge you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
When I was going to college (full time not the 10 plus years after that part time); I generally had a min wage job. Which was either Hardees or Farm Fresh (grocery store). So it was all customer service. At Hardees I did about everything there, stocked the shelves, cleaned the lot, cooked, front end. If I was cleaning the bathroom I was always polite and in a good mood to the customers.

The thing that irritates me is when you go there or a gas station, and the person waiting on you does not say a single word. How often do you go through the drive through you don't get a "Your total is...." they just have their hands out for the money. I would be happy with a F you, at least then they acknowledge you.
They're probably to busy texting or talking on their cell phone to have time......

Joe Burns

Its everywhere. The checkers at Walmart are especially bad about not greeting or saying anything to you. I also don't believe anyone knows how to count back change anymore either.

Joe

Seer

The ARt of Customer Service imho is dying slowly. I have worked in a customer service capacity for my entire life treting those I work with as a human being and with respect.

renowb

Don't get me started! I absolutely agree. Also when you hold a door open for ladies (or so called ladies) and not one word! On the other hand, we do have a BBQ joint here that is a great place to dine. When you get up to leave, they take time to say, Thanks for coming in!

dow

The issue isn't so much that people are intentionally rude and uncaring. It's more that the management at those places don't insist on good customer service. While it's a great steam vent to come here and rant about it. I think that our time is better spent by contacting the businesses involved and complaining to them. Additionally, any specifics that you can give to them will make their job easier. As a matter of fact, this thread just reminded me to contact the corporate people at Wendy's about a particular store that has horrendous customer service.

Thanks for the reminder!

WWAtty

The issue isn't so much that people are intentionally rude and uncaring. It's more that the management at those places don't insist on good customer service. While it's a great steam vent to come here and rant about it. I think that our time is better spent by contacting the businesses involved and complaining to them. Additionally, any specifics that you can give to them will make their job easier. As a matter of fact, this thread just reminded me to contact the corporate people at Wendy's about a particular store that has horrendous customer service.

Thanks for the reminder!

This!

My pet peeve is, while in the checkout line, the cashier hands me the receipt and says "Here ya' go!" Or "Have a nice day!" which is a little better, but not by much. All I want is a simple "Thank you," but I rarely hear that unless the checker is over 30.

nativewooder

I've been in and around customer service issues for so long, I'm beginning to believe that we are close to being a nation of idiots. The only people who don't understand the value of good customer service are the people who don't care about their customers. Any business that doesn't demand good customer service will shut down in a year or two. I always stressed, and loudly, for those who didn't even like high school, that if you wanted a job next week, month, or year, you had better be nice to those people coming in and going out the door.:rolleyes:

I don't even want to get started on customer service... I did traffic and transportation for 40 years, which is almost pure customer service since the customer could actually do all of what I did themselves if they wanted to... what ever customer I was working with/for at any give time was the best customer/only customer I had at that moment....

I worked for one of the big box stores for a short time and was reprimanded for "spending too much time" with a customer.... a couple rolled into my department with an empty cart and started telling me what they were doing to their cabin and asked for a couple of suggestions... the more we talked the more they bought... at the end of about 30 or 40 minutes their cart of 3/4 full and the sales manager told my supervisor that I spent too much time with customers... go figure.

Bowl Slinger

Whereas I will not argue with anything that anyone said on this thread, I will state as with most things in life the problems and resolutions to those problems start in the home. I have always been a respectful person to all even if the person has not earned it. I own a retail truck shop and I absolutely will not tolerate any of my 60 employees to be disrespectful to our customers, vendors, fellow employees or Joe blow walking down the sidewalk. My 22 yo son works for me and it makes me proud when a person walks into the shop and he greets them with a smile, cheerful greeting and always calls them ma'am or sir. Most of the time he gets some kind of smart attitude like "dont call me ma'am, it makes me feel old" or "dont call me sir, I work for a living". When I was growing up and didnt respect my elders I would get a swift smack upside the head. Nowadays the kids have no respect for themselves let alone any of their elders.

The Penguin

the "don't call me sirs" most likely were enlisted men. It's a common (and meant to be comical) response, don't take offense. Military officers are "sir" - and to the EMs - they don't work.

edicehouse

When I lived in Upstate NY, I never heard anyone called Sir or Ma'am (except on Dukes of Hazzard). It was not a disrespect thing, just something that was not said. Now this was almost 30 years ago, I moved to VA and teachers got upset I didn't say it.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
When I lived in Upstate NY, I never heard anyone called Sir or Ma'am (except on Dukes of Hazzard). It was not a disrespect thing, just something that was not said. Now this was almost 30 years ago, I moved to VA and teachers got upset I didn't say it.
When I went to school in PA in the 40s and 50s we ALWAYS addressed the teachers my their surname such as, Mr. Nonnemaker, Miss Leonard or Mrs. Pope - never sir, ma'am or anything else. Although outside of school I could address Mrs. Pope by her first name because she happened to be married to my cousin and Miss Leonard also because she was my cousin (or thought she was - I was never sure about that).

edicehouse

Where I lived in NY, "Yeah" and "Nah" were not rude responses. When I moved to VA my first teacher had a breakdown about it. We did call our teachers Mr & Mrs, ect. Maybe if you don't say Yes Sir to some it is considered rude but when I go to NY and say Yes Sir, people think it's kinda funny, and they love my wifes southern accent.

JMCU

If you are interested in snapping the walking dead out of their sleep mode try saying Thank You, Have a Great Day in the place where they should be thanking you.

Top Bottom