Memory card full?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I have noticed that, I can take fewer photos until, the display says Memory Card Full. Like 3 exposures. Even though I've deleted all. Do I need a new card? Or, is there any way to get more with the card I have? I think it is a 25 exposure card. Just wondering?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Beasley

Try reformatting the card in the camera. It may be filling up with empty folders as you download your pics to your computer. I've noticed my Canon leaves empty folders when I erase the shots in camera. I don't know if the Canon download software leaves them, I never use it.

monophoto

Chuck

What is the camera? How old is it? Is it possible to change the settings on the camera to change image resolution? How big is the memory card? How old is it?

Memory cards are sized in terms of storage capacity in mB. The number of pictures that a card can hold really depends on the size file that the camera produces - something that is often selectable by one of the setting in the camera.

My first suspicion is that something has changed to cause your camera to create larger files for images. That would reduce the number of images that can be saved to your memory card.

If the capacity of the card is actually diminishing over time, I would wonder about whether the card may be degrading. Flash memory has a definite life expectancy, but ordinarily we never approach the limits of a card. But if the card is old and has been used a lot (and frankly, if it was not a high quality card to begin with), then it is possible that the usable memory in the card may actually be shrinking.

sbell111

I would reformat the card and see if that fixes the issue. If it doesn't, throw the card in the trash and get a new one.

Here is how to reformat the powershot's card: link

Janster

....if you have pics on the card you wish to keep, download them to a file on your PC. AFTER saving the pics, then delete the pics on the card or reformat said card. Good luck, it is pretty straight forward. Be well........Jan

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
This is obviously an opportunity to upgrade your camera and flash cards at the same time!:laugh:

The best solution is to tell your wife the camera and card are old and worn out. The camera is no longer taking clean crisp clear pictures and is cluttering up the card with all sorts of dirty grainy extra information making the files to large.:frown: The card is worn out and wont hold anymore information without it leaking out around the seams.:mad:

The only sure way to fix all your problems is a new camera and card. They will give you much sharper clearer pictures of the grandkids, dog, and rest of the family. Oh and your pens of course!:biggrin: I would recomend you showing her a couple of cameras your thinking of, say A nikon D4 starting at $6000.00 or a D800 at $3,000.00 or maybe you would only need a Nikon 1 starting at $400.00 and a couple of 128gb flash cards. You could let her help choose that camera.:laugh:

Dan Hintz

Dale,

Another suggestion... pick up a USB card reader. You can sometimes get them free with a card purchase, but the reader by itself should set you back no more than about $15 (my monitor actually has a reader built into the side of it). Use the reader to look at/transfer what's on the card rather than the camera... that will prevent any extra issues like rogue folders being created by the camera's software.

You could try one of those Eye-Fi cards, but they'll eat your batteries, and it's complete hit or miss that you get one that works reliably with your particular setup (check out the reviews on Amazon... they speak volumes).

Fireengines

NEVER toss any media in the trash without first destroying it. In this case, beat it with a hammer before you toss it.

I would reformat the card and see if that fixes the issue. If it doesn't, throw the card in the trash and get a new one.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Try reformatting the card in the camera. It may be filling up with empty folders as you download your pics to your computer. I've noticed my Canon leaves empty folders when I erase the shots in camera. I don't know if the Canon download software leaves them, I never use it.
Thanks Gary. When you mentioned reformatting, I remembered, I did that years ago, to get better quality photos. But, was able to take more photos then.

Chuck

What is the camera? How old is it? Is it possible to change the settings on the camera to change image resolution? How big is the memory card? How old is it?

Memory cards are sized in terms of storage capacity in mB. The number of pictures that a card can hold really depends on the size file that the camera produces - something that is often selectable by one of the setting in the camera.

My first suspicion is that something has changed to cause your camera to create larger files for images. That would reduce the number of images that can be saved to your memory card.

If the capacity of the card is actually diminishing over time, I would wonder about whether the card may be degrading. Flash memory has a definite life expectancy, but ordinarily we never approach the limits of a card. But if the card is old and has been used a lot (and frankly, if it was not a high quality card to begin with), then it is possible that the usable memory in the card may actually be shrinking.
OK, I have a Canon PowerShot 560. About 6 years old. The card is too. It is Canon Multi Media Card MMC-16 I suspect it's time for a new card. I just thought if, you delete the photos, you delete the memory, opening the space for use.

Thanks, Steve. I'll give it a go.

....if you have pics on the card you wish to keep, download them to a file on your PC. AFTER saving the pics, then delete the pics on the card or reformat said card. Good luck, it is pretty straight forward. Be well........Jan
Thanks Jan. I save them all to my PC.
This is obviously an opportunity to upgrade your camera and flash cards at the same time!:laugh:

The best solution is to tell your wife the camera and card are old and worn out. The camera is no longer taking clean crisp clear pictures and is cluttering up the card with all sorts of dirty grainy extra information making the files to large.:frown: The card is worn out and wont hold anymore information without it leaking out around the seams.:mad:

The only sure way to fix all your problems is a new camera and card. They will give you much sharper clearer pictures of the grandkids, dog, and rest of the family. Oh and your pens of course!:biggrin: I would recomend you showing her a couple of cameras your thinking of, say A nikon D4 starting at $6000.00 or a D800 at $3,000.00 or maybe you would only need a Nikon 1 starting at $400.00 and a couple of 128gb flash cards. You could let her help choose that camera.:laugh:
Thanks! You just want to see me get in BIG trouble :biggrin: We do have another camera. Fuji Film S2800HD I may give that one a try. Haven't used it because, there was a confusing conflict between the two softwares when, I would try to upload photos.

Hi
check tha you havent accidentally altered the quality of pics in your camera software

Dale,

Another suggestion... pick up a USB card reader. You can sometimes get them free with a card purchase, but the reader by itself should set you back no more than about $15 (my monitor actually has a reader built into the side of it). Use the reader to look at/transfer what's on the card rather than the camera... that will prevent any extra issues like rogue folders being created by the camera's software.

You could try one of those Eye-Fi cards, but they'll eat your batteries, and it's complete hit or miss that you get one that works reliably with your particular setup (check out the reviews on Amazon... they speak volumes).
Thanks Dan.

NEVER toss any media in the trash without first destroying it. In this case, beat it with a hammer before you toss it.

Got it!

Dan Hintz

Believe it or not, Flash memory does "Wear out".... This attached site explains it more tecnically than I would want to know, but...

SSD endurance myths and legends - saga continues in 3D
SSD drives can be beaten on significantly more often on a sector-by-sector basis than an SD card would ever see. A camera's SD card will typically outlast a human life if used normally. The only reason I've ever stopped using an SD card is due to needing more space, but I could easily pass those cards along to the next guy and he'd never notice a difference in his lifetime.

sbwertz

"The card is worn out and wont hold anymore information without it leaking out around the seams.:mad:"

That reminds me of the time I was installing a coax network for a client. (A network where all the computers are strung along one cable, going from one to the next, to the next, and ending with a data plug on the last "T" connector). The secretary was watching me, and asked me why I was putting in the data plug. I told her it was to keep the bits from leaking out on to her desk. After that, every time I came she asked me to check and make sure no bits were leaking out!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
But Chuck you would be the only pen maker with an 80 megapixel cameral.. You would be "THE MAN!"

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Now your just being silly. Chuck needs a new camera but he has to be smarter than the camera he buys. I realize thats pushing it since the kodak 110 went out of style but give the man a break.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Now your just being silly. Chuck needs a new camera but he has to be smarter than the camera he buys. I realize thats pushing it since the kodak 110 went out of style but give the man a break.
Yes, anything with AUTO....POINT & SHOOT:biggrin:!

I took Steves link and, reformatted. The display showed there was tons of space left. Haven't tried it yet but, will later. The display screen looks grainy. Wondering about the batteries now? I might have to get into the other camera. But, that will take time away from the shed project.

I sure do appreciate your support Mike!:rolleyes::biggrin:

CrimsonKeel

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
If your card only holds 25 exposures its time for an upgrade. for around 15-25 bucks you can get a 32 gigabyte card now that is class 10 (meaning it saves pictures faster)
Micro Center - Computers, Electronics, Computer Parts, Networking, Gaming, Software, and more!

Try this one i have it and it holds more pictures than i will need unless i really up my file size. (holds around 700 now pics 72 inches x 48inches)
Thanks. I took a look at this. I was hoping to find someplace where it might have a list of compatible cameras. Didn't see it.

With an older camera you need to make sure the camera can handle the newer technology in the bigger card.
Gary, any idea how to find this out?

jsolie

Did you format the card yet? If not, it might be worthwhile plugging things into the computer so you can see what's on the camera. It may be that something inadvertently got copied to the card and formatting it in the camera will make recovery involve a few more steps.

Gary Beasley

If your card only holds 25 exposures its time for an upgrade. for around 15-25 bucks you can get a 32 gigabyte card now that is class 10 (meaning it saves pictures faster)
Micro Center - Computers, Electronics, Computer Parts, Networking, Gaming, Software, and more!

Try this one i have it and it holds more pictures than i will need unless i really up my file size. (holds around 700 now pics 72 inches x 48inches)
Thanks. I took a look at this. I was hoping to find someplace where it might have a list of compatible cameras. Didn't see it.

With an older camera you need to make sure the camera can handle the newer technology in the bigger card.

Not real sure. I've had cards turn up that my card reader wouldn't recognise but they were SD cards. So far my Canon uses all the bigger cards but it's been a few years since I bought a card for it. At least nowadays the cards are cheap enough you are not out a lot if it don't work. Best option on that is to take the camera with you to a camera store or electronics store and have them look at it.

monophoto

Gary, any idea how to find this out?[/quote]

With 'older' cameras this is a serious concern. My wife bought two 500MB memory cards with her camera, but she recently lost one of them. I bought a 4GB replacement so she wouldn't have to fumble with swapping out cards - only to find that the software in the camera couldn't address anything larger than 1GB. And today, a 1GB card is considered so small that most dealers don't carry them.

The specification for the camera will define the card limitations that you have to work with. If you have the instruction book, the specification should be there (probably toward the back). If not, an internet search will probably find it.

randyrls

Chuck; Do a Google search with your camera manufacturer name and the model number with "specs" after it and you should be able to find the limits of you camera. PM me with the info and I will look for it.

Top Bottom