Masur Birch - Dbl closed-end, hidden clip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MartinPens

MartinPens

I used a minimal of hardware to enhance the elegance. Amazing wood. I'm proud of this one. I really took my time and gave attention to detail.

Martin

Attachments

• Masur_8551.jpg
    Masur_8551.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 547
  • Masur_8552.jpg
    Masur_8552.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 530
  • Masur_8554.jpg
    Masur_8554.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 451
  • Masur_8556.jpg
    Masur_8556.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 416
  • Masur_8558.jpg
    Masur_8558.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 538

MartinPens

Thanks and credit

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments. I haven't been on or made a pen for a while, so it's nice to be back.

My thanks also to Joe (shadetree_1) for the Masur Birch. Excellent pieces.

As far as the hidden clip goes - It seems to improve with each on I do. I have had some real disasters including CA glue coming out the insert hole and getting glue all over the clip/pen and gluing my fingers to the pen itself. But... with each disaster comes learning, so just dive on in! I use a Dremmel to make the small hole and to shave and shape the clip.

Thanks again, Joe

Martin

wiset1

so much love went into this pen. Great lines and overall look, if I could change one thing it would be to remove the clip...respectfully. The line are so dynamic with the grain and tone...

shadetree_1

You are a real craftsman my friend and you made my wood look fantastic !!!!!!! I love it when I see my wood turned in to beauty !!!
Joe THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MartinPens

wood-of-1kind said:
Really great work here. The only thing that I would alter is substituting the CB with a constrasting 'wooden' band or other alternate material.

I so agree. I really want to get rid of the plastic parts all together. Would love that black band to be Ebony. Still hunting solutions. I know I can build around it to hide it, but I don't want to increase the diameter of the pen. Do you know of any resources?
Martin

MartinPens

Center Band Alternative

Really great work here. The only thing that I would alter is substituting the CB with a constrasting 'wooden' band or other alternate material.

I've included a photo of the Churchill parts. I use the tubes. The clip. The nib and nib trim ring.
I alter the center band by removing the black and gold rings and gently turning off some of the black plastic so it will press easily. I also replace the nib holder with a solid gold metal nib holder. (the plastic/gold metal nib holders are defective and will eventually snap) Berea Hardwoods is the only place I've found that sells this kit with the solid nib holders.

Q - Does anyone know of an alternative to the center band without increasing the diameter of the pen? I need a metal threaded center band to fit the nib holder that is "bandless". If I could find such a thing it would really open up the possibilities! Anyone want to make some on their metal lathe??

Martin

Attachments

• Churchill Parts.jpg
    Churchill Parts.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 144

wood-of-1kind

Martin
I wish that I had a lead in regards to altering the CB. I completely forgot about the coupler design being part of the CB. Was thinking of the one piece design like the cigar style pens. Now you have me thinking...

Nickfff

Very nice!

What technique did you use for the hidden clip?

I have found using Russ F's technique the area above the clip gets very weak and sometimes creates a slight hairline fracture...

How robust is the clip?

JMT

A) Amazing. Fantastic job.
B) The is *exactly* the type of clip and mounting I have been wanting to do. If you have a recommendation on a 'how to' guide, I would be very thank full.

Again....fantastic job.
Cheers,
John

MartinPens

Very nice!

What technique did you use for the hidden clip?

I have found using Russ F's technique the area above the clip gets very weak and sometimes creates a slight hairline fracture...

How robust is the clip?

A) Amazing. Fantastic job.
B) The is *exactly* the type of clip and mounting I have been wanting to do. If you have a recommendation on a 'how to' guide, I would be very thank full.

Again....fantastic job.
Cheers,
John

I started with Russ's tutorial in the library. 2009 Articles "Invisible Clip for the Jr. Emperor."

I have tweaked it from there. I haven't had any problems with fractures up to this point.

I make my hole (small slot) with a Dremmel. This has helped tremendously. I can also make fine adjustments in shaving the clip down using the Dremmel. Once I get the clip in place, I pack the inside area where the clip comes in with find wood shavings and add a couple/few drops of CA glue - *holding the cap at an angle so that the glue will not come out of the slot I have cut**

If I can, I'll make a video tutorial and post it on Youtube.

Martin

wizard

Beautiful pen!!!! Thank you for the explanations on the steps you used and the reference to the tutorial. Thank you for showing!!! Regards, Doc

MartinPens

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the comments. I'm going to attempt a short video on the hidden clip process. Will post when it's completed. Happy Turning!!
Martin

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Just superb!!! When I first saw it, I thought it was a pen by Amos ( AKA WoodenInk ) Excellently done:biggrin:

turbowagon

Excellent pen! Masur birch is my second favorite wood, next to Birdseye Huon Pine burl.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the comments. I'm going to attempt a short video on the hidden clip process. Will post when it's completed. Happy Turning!!
Martin

That would be awesome!

All I can think of when I imagine taking a dremel to a fnished pen is that scene in Wayne's World at the auto body shop where Garth scratches up a car accidentally with an impact wrench.

Top Bottom