Mantel Box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kkwall

kkwall

Hi All,

My sister asked if I could make her a box to place on the centre of her mantelpiece.

She gave me some design ideas and I came up with this.

Not sure if I like it or not??

I may try another with some changes. Any input welcome.

Bottom of Box is Spalted Sycamore, with Curly Beech sides and drawer, with a Witchy Elm top, with burr elm feet. Drawer knob is Burr elm, with African Blackwood.

2007121822421_mantel%20box.jpg

2007121822436_mantel%20box%202.jpg

2007121822451_mantel%20box%203.jpg

200712182253_mantel%20box%204.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

IMHO the base needs to have a less "clunky" look. Maybe make it thinner or duplicate the taper from the top. I would sit it on the mantle before making any changes, however, as the mantel design and the higher angle of view will make a real difference. I really like the ball feet idea!

Well done!!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Kenny, I actually like this piece and the previous one. Perhaps a 'tad' chunky, but still nicely made. What I particularly like about this one is that you have taken the trouble to do a great dovetail joint on the drawer front. My only critisism is that after the effort of doing the dovetail, perhaps you could of stopped the groove for the drawer bottom, before it got to the edge of the drawer front. [?]

On your previous piece, it appeared that the front left corner of the top was a touch shy of the section underneath. I don't know if you had the thick slab on top of another top or if you used cornice?
Either way, I would have done without them and just had the slab as the top.

Are you trying to use up ALL of your wood stocks before you go to Oz[}:)]:D

How is the move going BTW?
Cheers

toolcrazy

I think the bottom is OK, but it needs to be arched on the front and the sides, so it looks more like leg and not the chunky bottom.

Otherwise, it looks nice.

kkwall

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. I tend to agree with what has been said.

I am going to do something with the base, as I too think it is a little thick/chunky looking.

Steve, the slab on the last piece was sitting on the top of the cabinet, with a cornice placed around it. In retrospect, you are probably right, as the front edge did move around a lot and the cornice ended up not being flush with the top in some areas! Live and learn.

Cheers again, will post a revision once I have figured out what to do with it?????[xx(]:):D

GaryMGg

Kenny,
The dovetail drawer looks great.
In your OP, you wrote: "She gave me some design ideas and I came up with this."
What were her requirements/ideas?

Top Bottom