Making it dishwasher safe(not pens)...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lago

I was discussing some items I would like to make for our daughter & SIL and was reminded that if it can't go in the dishwasher, they won't use it.

She indicated that she would like a cheese plane and also suggested the CSUSA pig tail food flipper. I was also thinking about the PSI nested corn cob holders.

I want to start casting one of these days so how dishwasher safe would PR items be, along with the glue. Just not sure how long epoxy or Gorilla glue would last.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Lago

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Why don't you just glue a few scrap pieces of pr together. Maybe a set with epoxy & another with gorilla glue & run them through with the silverware.

If I had a daughter and she said that to me.... wouldn't make a damn thing. Perhaps I am too old school, I had to go out to the woodlot to get my own switch to have my arse tanned...

With any "plastic" it is best to have it on the top rack and remove before the dry cycle.

ohiococonut

If I had a daughter and she said that to me.... wouldn't make a damn thing. Perhaps I am too old school, I had to go out to the woodlot to get my own switch to have my arse tanned....

Yep! And grandma made sure you left a leaf on the end so she'd know it wasn't some old dried up stick that was going to break the first wack :frown:

Never had a dishwasher, I've got two hands.

DurocShark

PR with epoxy works fine in the dishwasher with the spatula handles and such I've made.

No ultra-hot or whatever it's called, however. Just normal or water saver settings.

PenMan1

I make wine glasses, etc from PR, simply because the modern-day DIVA will not use anything that is not dishwasher safe.

So far, all PR wine glasses, cork screws, bottle openers, burger flippers, cheese trays and cutters do well in a home dish washer.

The PSI chrome stuff and their "black TI - (NOT!)doesn't work in a dishwasher....The PR holds up fine, but the plating washes off. I've had NO problem with the CSUSA or Ruth Niles stoppers, knives, flippers, et al.

Most home diswashers work around 125 -135 Degrees F. Commercial Dishwashers work at 150 + F. So far, so good.

Addendium: Consider changing from 30 minute epoxy to E9000 ( or whatever it is Woodcraft sells... it's good stuff!).

Last edited:

lago

It's not that she doesn't want to wash dishes by hand...she has eczema and can't tolerate hands in water. She probably inherited it from my mother. She had the same thing and couldn't even wear jewelry.

Lago

sbell111

We've had no problem with PR and epoxy in the dishwasher.

For what it's worth, at our house, everything but cast iron and nonstick pans go in the dishwasher. It's not that we don't have two hands. It's that we only have 24 hours. We also drive cars rather than walk into town and our toilets are indoors.

If I had a daughter and she said that to me.... wouldn't make a damn thing. Perhaps I am too old school, I had to go out to the woodlot to get my own switch to have my arse tanned....

Yep! And grandma made sure you left a leaf on the end so she'd know it wasn't some old dried up stick that was going to break the first wack :frown:

Never had a dishwasher, I've got two hands.

I have a dishwasher - it's installed in the counter... the water has been disconnected since I moved in though and I don't even know if the motors work... I want to take it out and use it in the shop as a kiln to dry bowls... still trying to convince SWOTT (she who owns the thing)... :laugh::laugh:
I've offered to put another cabinet in place of the DW, still haven't got a yes yet...

Top Bottom